• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae eating Kribs?

Henrik

I recently got a pair of Kribs - I love dwarf cichlids, and have had Apistogramma in the past, but recently I had been too worried about water conditions, aggression in a fully stocked community tank, and plant uprooting. The Krib was described as 'as peaceful a cichlid as you can get', less fuzzy about water conditions (although mine are fine now that I have found a balance of hardness and CO2 addition), and 'good to plants'...
Well, after a few days I found that the Kribs not only leave alone my plants, but also seem to be eating my Cladophora algae that no other fish, not even the SAE, want to touch. I do not know yet whether they eat any significant amounts of them, but they clearly swim up to them and pull out a bite. Does anybody know more about the (possible) algae eating habits of Kribs?

Thanks, Henrik

Hi Henrik,
Yes Kribs are fairly well known for eating algae. Make sure you supplement their diet with a good quality algae wafer when they've run out. What else are you feeding them-frozen foods? You could do a search about this topic on google that I'm sure will bring up a lot of useful results.
Regards
Will

Yes, frozen foods, and their share of the ususal community flakes, crisps, wafers and pallets. Good to know that they are algae eaters, I will add a waver for them when I feed my plecs!

Henrik

Back