• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae help!! Starting to take over!!

Hey Matt
Regards your idea of Siamese algae eaters, I think it’s a good one. These do a fabulous job of grazing in both my current and in previous tanks, and whilst some say that this lessens as they mature, my experience is that they still do a good job as adults, and fortunately you have the space. I’d be inclined to go for at least a trio, as not only are they great for most algae types but it’s fascinating to watch them courting. Mine mostly come out in the evenings when the tank is dark, but will then ‘dance’ with each other for long periods, which is lovely to see.

Snails will be snails and there aren’t many where you can ‘control’ population by anything other than limiting food availability, something I’ve personally found a bit of a challenge in my large tank. I’ve recently introduced a couple of Assassin snails just to balance things out a little but still think of snails as ‘friends’ in a planted tank.

Nerites can be controlled as their eggs don’t hatch but they do lay a lot of them….everywhere….so unless ur happy with lots of indestructible, ‘cemented on’, white specs all over, then maybe not!

Thanks Kirsty.

I actually still have one of my original SAE from a group of 3 which is about 4 years old however hes too fat and lazy to bother touching any algae now lol. My issue would be adding say 4 or 5 small ones and he starts getting aggressive with them as i know they can get a bit like that when kept alone.

H all,
are the Tadpole (Physella acuta) and Red Ramshorn (Planorbella duryi) snails ok for a tank my size and can there numbers be controlled easily enough??
They are both small snails, so you may find your Rainbows and Angels predate on them to some degree. I've never kept Rainbows (and not Angels for 30 years) and I'm really not sure. Numbers are very easily controlled with baiting with a piece of vegetable, but I've never had issues with them. I like them because they are "pest snails" and you don't have to acquire them more than once.

cheers Darrel

Thanks @dw1305 I will definitely look into the snail route.

So apart from the snail or fish route do you think there is anything else I can do to stop it or at least calm it down?

I worried it will fully take over the tank however I dont mind if it stays as it is.

I will definitely try cleaning out my filters more regularly and adding foam pre filter on them that I can rinse out weekly

Thanks
Matt

Thanks for the reply @hypnogogia I thought that in a planted tank the organic waste was good for the plants as they used it as a food source?? That's why I never use a gravel vac

It looks like a maintainance issue,that's why many of us have things to do on the aquarium eg after a holiday when we can't do water changes, check the fish ,filter etc. Dead and loose leaves poor unhealthy all make conditions for algae.
You don't have to be to vigorous with substrates esp if we'll planted run your hand across so allow the filter take the debris. Even when gravel vacuum go lightly. Think the above posts about snails and juvenile SAEs are a good option

@PARAGUAY i think thats the option im going to go with, ive had small SAE in the past and they are brilliant so ill grab 4 or 5.

One other thing I am wondering is if my filtration isn't big enough. I currently have 1 oase biomaster 600 and an eheim classic 600 on my tank (6x2x2)

Thanks for the reply @hypnogogia I thought that in a planted tank the organic waste was good for the plants as they used it as a food source?? That's why I never use a gravel vac
To an extent yes, but we need to be careful for it not to accumulate too much. I always hoover up visible detritus, as well as wafting across the substrate surface a little at each water change and siphon off the suspended muck.

Personally @Mattant1984, I don’t think filtration is the issue per se. I have a pair of Oase 850’s on mine which is a bit more than you but it’s more about good flow. (I also have a pair of gyres) With higher flow and more water movement, detritus is less likely to settle on the plants and be kept suspended so that the filter can take it out. It’s also moving your ferts around for you, but as you are non Co2 with primarily easy plants, I wouldn’t be looking at expensive filter upgrades etc. as a first option. Your surface movement looks pretty good so doesn’t appear that oxygen exchange is likely to be an issue.

Good maintenance can compensate somewhat however. I clean my pre-filters every week, and every week they need it. Main canisters I only do every couple of months.
Waving your hand over substrate and syphoning off loose debris as already suggested, and also wafting plant leaves to remove anything that has settled on them (on WC day) will help, as will removal of any damaged or decaying leaves.

It’s a good bit of work in a large tank, I know, but can make a big difference. This is one of the reasons why I like plenty of natural cleaning crew in my tank. (SAE’s, Otto’s, a hoard of snails, 150 plus shrimp - which your fish would just eat 😂) as every bit of work they do is less for you to do.

From your pictures, I’m inclined to feel this is more of a maintenance issue than anything, so that is were I would start.

Hopefully some younger SAE’s will do ok as a group and your older one won’t get too grumpy about it. 🤞

Many thanks @KirstyF I think maybe I just need a bit more filter maintenance and maybe add a pre filter onto the eheim.

Going to try and find some to SAE tomorrow and possibly some snails and see how I get on I think

Build up of organic waste can also contribute to algae growth.
Hi @hypnogogia,

I couldn't agree with you more!

In my opinion, build-up of organics just doesn't get the attention that it deserves in our tanks. I have been interested in this aspect of aquatics for several years during which time I've researched and carried out numerous measurements. There are many threads and posts here on UKAPS, which discuss organics. They may be referred to as DOC/TOC (dissolved organic carbon/total organic carbon). There is one thread that I find very informative - so, I'll locate it and add it here.

JPC

Hi Folks,

And here's another relevant thread:

I'll stop there. Phew, I hear you all say!

JPC

So a bit of an update, got myself 3 more SAE today so will see what they can eat however a massive mistake on my part when I looked at the outlet from my Biomaster yesterday and it was barely doing anything!!

Opend the filter up (I clean the pre filter every 2 weeks but this was the first time I've opened the main filter for about 2 months) and to my surprise some of the filter floss was wrapped around the impeller so was stopping it spinning properly!!

Stupid mistake on my part but you live and learn and ive now taken out the filter floss, give the whole thing a good clean and the flow is amazing 🤭🤭🤭

With the Biomaster working this way for god knows how long I am assuming this could have played a part in the algae??

Back