• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ALGAE Help!!!!

Jasont1026

Seedling
I have no idea what I am doing wrong but over the last week or so my tank has become completely covered in this stuff tried more regular water changes and being extra careful with feeds have stopped dosing as soon as I noticed a problem not sure what else to try and remedy it

Attachments

• 15866919810397680833526113933519.jpg
    15866919810397680833526113933519.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 135
Hi Jason
You will need to try and identify which type its is!
Before you can engage the problem.
Have a look at the below link!
www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
hoggie

I have no idea what I am doing wrong but over the last week or so my tank has become completely covered in this stuff tried more regular water changes and being extra careful with feeds have stopped dosing as soon as I noticed a problem not sure what else to try and remedy it
How long has your tank been established?

If it is well established and you’re suddenly getting this algae (looks like green filamentous algae to me), try to think what has changed in the last couple of weeks that might have triggered it. Has your CO₂ reduced? Have you changed your nutrient dose - especially have you reduced it? Has there been a source of pollution that might have caused an ammonia spike, even if you can’t measure it on a test kit? Dead fish, snails, rotting/melting plant leaves? Have you increased your lighting intensity or period - or has the spring sunshine started striking the tank where it didn’t a few weeks ago?

Spring sunshine would be my bet. Put a piece of card or paper against the tank wall(s) to ensure no uncontrolled sunlight is getting in.

Tank has been running for the last 3 months I have stopped dosing for the last 2 weeks or so all I was dosing before then was flourish twice a week and have root tabs

Aha! We may have found the problem.

If I understand correctly, Flourish does not contain any macro nutrients, i.e. nitrate, phosphate and potassium. Your plants are probably deficient in these important nutrients, meaning that they’re not healthy. Unhealthy plants give algae a chance to thrive.

I recommend using something like TNC Complete instead of the Flourish. TNC Complete contains everything: macro nutrients and micro nutrients. I’d try that for a few weeks and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys I have bought some TNC Complete but with postage being slowed down from the pandemic it could be awhile before I receive it.

The tank is located well away from windows in an alcove not sure much if any natural sunlight gets to it. I was thinking about trying a blackout for a few days any opinions on it?

Last edited:
Back