Algae ID on Java fern

tiger15

I have never seen this algae before that recently infested some of my Java fern leaves.

They don’t seem to be fern spores as no baby ferns grow out of them. They are not bba as they are not hairy, not soft to touch, and don’t grow along leaf edges. They are hard and bumpy, deep green, and scattered randomly on the lower and upper sides of the leaf blade.

What are they and how to get rid of them.

Attachments

Last edited:

tiger15

Hi all, They look like they might be a <"Nostoc sp., a Cyanobacteria">. I get it some of the trays in the glasshouse,so high light, low nutrients and hard water.

cheers Darrel
Mine look like the green balls in the pics except that mine are less than 1 mm, as opposed to 1 to 2 cm as depicted in your pics. Mine are found only on the leaves, not on the substrate or anywhere else as in the pics. I have mildly hard water, pH 7.6, gH10, kH4, low to medium light, 50 PAR on substrate, and high nutrients since the tank is heavily stocked and and I dose.

tiger15

Still can't figure out what it is. It's very rough to touch and not spherical but more like bba without the hair. It's not bba because it did not respond to peroxide or excel treatment. Could it be some viral mutation and not algae? Presently, it only infested about 5% of the leaves but I am afraid it may spread.

I took some macro pics and hopefully someone can ID it.

Attachments

Hanuman

If you can go under the sun and take a focused pic so we can see the details would be better.

X3NiTH

Looks like it could possibly be Fungal Perithecium growth, this would explain why it is only seen on the plants and not the hardscape because it's emerging from within the leaves themselves, possibly acquired if the plant was growing above the water at any stage.

If it's not that it still looks like the plant is responding to whatever is bothering it by making what appears to be galls of a sort.

Still think it's fungal though as I can't think what underwater pest would cause such symptoms.

Last edited:

tiger15

After doing a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that the bumps are not algae, but some sort of systemic infection by bacteria, fungus or virus. The bumps appear on the leaves and rhizomes that lead to deformity, and affect only Java fern, both my broad leaf and narrow leaf Trident. It’s worse than algae, as I can effectively treat algae with glut or peroxide. I have no clue what the infectious pathogen is and how to treat. I have removed as much as 75% of the infected ferns, and dosed glut and ick remedy in the hope that it can root out the infection. At the end, if it doesn’t work, I may lose all the ferns and have to start over.

I have not introduced any new ferns for 2 years, so the infection is not newly introduced from a bad source. I. transplanted the ferns from stock in my other tank, which has no infection. Its possible the infectious pathogen is pre existing but not manefest itself in the other tank. The cultural difference between the two tanks is that I dose glut in the other tank regularly after weekly water change, but not the infected tank until recently.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/java-fern-bumps.278300/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Algae ID Algae 11
Cor Regrowth of algae after drying out Algae 6
k3ch0ng Silky stringy algae ? Algae 9
tiger15 Micro algae eaters Algae 5
dcurzon What algae is this? Algae 9
Ashneon2020 Need help identifying algae Algae 15