• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae ID

James Burcham

Can anyone ID this algae? I know it's not a good pic. Its It's very stringy with long strands. I only see it on this moss. It doesn't have much of a color.
20190719_214941.jpg

I believe it's thread algae based on looking at some other pics. It is very difficult to photograph. I'm only working with a cellphone.

Does anyone have tips for this algae? I'm noticing it popping up in some other places.

Actions I'm taking.

1.Reduce the 100% intensity period to 4 hours from 7. The rest of the time will be ramp time. 8 hrs total.

2. Reduce ferts by a third maybe??? I don't know....

I'm not noticing any deficiencies in the plants.

Thanks for any help.

Note. This is the second week of going to 1 WC a week.
My fert dosage is the high light recommendation in pic below.
20190724_224254.jpg
20190724_224234.jpg

Visible algae always mean go back to increased maintenance - so return to more frequent (daily ;)) water changes, physically removing as much algae as possible - use a toothbrush or round (bottle?) brush to wind up the threads

Rinse filter media
Vacuum substrate carefully so as not disturb rooting plants, use a small syphon tube to get in between rocks, wood etc, do the hand “wafting” to lift debris :)

I’m a limited water column nutrients fan, so I’d reduce nitrates to 10 ppm etc
Especially during the first couple months, plant mass is low, plants are establishing and growth rates tend to be slower, any nutrient leaching from substrate is higher ...

4 hours intense light is fine for most growth needs

Algae crew?

@alto thanks for the tips. Operation high frequency maintenance will resume tonight! :angelic:

4 hours intense light is fine for most growth needs
When you say most what are the caveats you can think of and do you think I should have left my lights alone?
Algae crew?
I have 5 ottos a 5 Amanos. My plan is to double that but I didn't want to over load the tank without have the demand. It seems like now is a good time to increase their numbers.

.Reduce the 100% intensity period to 4 hours from 7. The rest of the time will be ramp time. 8 hrs total.

4 hours intense light and and 4 hours ramp up and down is 8 Hours of light for algae so as Alto says 4 hours in enough ;) can you reduce intensity

4 hours intense light and and 4 hours ramp up and down is 8 Hours of light for algae so as Alto says 4 hours in enough ;) can you reduce intensity

Are you asking if I can further reduce intensity or are you saying the change I made was the right move. Sorry but I'm confused by your comment o_O

I don’t recall exact tank dimensions - OK maybe my recall is virtually blank ;) - but 90 cm tank (x 45 x 45 seems a reasonable assumption), and that’s a very high efficiency expected for 5 Amano shrimp :wideyed:
Shrimp are most effective at the “baby algae” stage
I’d suggest 20 (10 if you also add Nerites) ... Amano would add 50 :) Choose males if possible (smaller, better longterm workers, the girls just go off and get knocked up and then only want fish food)

Any mystery snails available in your area? They are good high volume algae (and damaged plant material) consumers so even just one would help
Nerite species are smaller and grand as well, look for the spiky ones as they are less likely to decorate with tiny white “pearls” (snail eggs that are extremely well glued, they hatch leaving behind flat white spots, larvae die in freshwater) - Clithon corona will also eat black brush type algae

(Otocinclus seem effective against diatoms, soft green algaes, not so keen on this thready sort)

List tank and light details (for the feeble minded among us)

List tank and light details (for the feeble minded among us)

No need for self deprecation :lol:. I wouldn't expect you to remember the details of my setup.

Tank
36in L x 15in W x 18in D
It's an AIO system
Total tank volume is 50.3 gal
Usable tank volume is a little over 40 gal

Lights
2 Kessil 160a
1 fluval 36" 4.0 plant

The fluval led is positioned against the rear of the tank to assist the kessil light with some shadows and high light demand plants located at the rear.

I'll take some good pics for visual aid.

Are you asking if I can further reduce intensity or are you saying the change I made was the right move. Sorry but I'm confused by your comment o_O

your photo period is still 8 hrs with the ramp short ramp up and down and intense light for say 4hrs with 15 to 30 mins ramp up and down would be better, algae thrive is low light as well as high light. Low level light if low enough will only be used by algae.

can you adjust your lights intensity/brightness ? increase/decreases intensity by a dial - You could also change lights intensity by raising or lowering the lights height above the water fitting screens, reflectors or blocking some of T5/T8 tubes with kitchen foil

1 fluval 36" 4.0 plant
How does 4.0 differ from the 3.0 version?

As Zeus says, I’d decrease total light to 5h (6 if you must ;)) - and, as tempting as it is, to run 5-10% light for evening viewing, I’d leave off for now ... once visible algae is basically gone, you can increase photoperiod or add an extended evening “moonlight” period

How does 4.0 differ from the 3.0 version?

It is the 3.0. I made a typo.

As Zeus says, I’d decrease total light to 5h (6 if you must ;)) - and, as tempting as it is, to run 5-10% light for evening viewing, I’d leave off for now ... once visible algae is basically gone, you can increase photoperiod or add an extended evening “moonlight” period

Will do, Along with more frequent WC.

I don’t recall exact tank dimensions - OK maybe my recall is virtually blank ;) - but 90 cm tank (x 45 x 45 seems a reasonable assumption), and that’s a very high efficiency expected for 5 Amano shrimp

I added 8 Amanos and they are going to town! I believe you were right my cleaning crew is under stocked.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I'll post with the progress.

Back