• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae identification

Steveb7

Could anyone tell me what this is on my weeping moss? Hair algae? Black Bush algae? Also how to remove it? Moss is very delicate and easily pulls off so how to get rid without losing the moss.or is it a case of taking full lot off and getting some more.
20190826_213549.jpg

looks like Staghorn - problem is co2 related, e.g. you need more, better flow or reduce lighting period and/or intensity. to assist rather than cure you could also use h2o2 or try a blackout.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.Co2 been running about a month,and I've not altered anything so it's been constantly at the same levels.regarding flow just to the right of the wood is a 2000lh wavemaker.so its and a good flow area.i have changed my lighting a few days ago but the algae was present before this.the moss is only around 3" from surface and around 5" from the light so it's getting the light full whack so to speak.could this be a cause? Ive cut back from 8hrs to 7hrs and but will cutting back the light period more affect plants?

Its always a bit of trial and error! are you certain you are getting a full PH drop before lights on? Moss is slow growing so it is generally more at risk of algae than say stem plants (remove as much as possible). it looks like the algae is on some of the older growth so if you have the patience you could cut off the tips, reattached and sling the rest. Have you got plenty of fast growing plants I can only see java fern and swords?

Personally I would reduce the lighting period to 5 hours and reduce the intensity/ move the moss away from the light. If you can't get on top of it consider a black out for a week, plants will be fine but the red algae will suffer.

Hygrophila siamenses 53(some yellowing and dropping a few leaves),crypto petchii,crypto wendtii,crypto Wendtii flamingo (all crypts doing really well) anubias nana,pogostemon helferi (new growth but browning stems),alteranthera rosanverig(not doing good at all),Limnophila sessiliflora (grows like mad but browning of the lower stems) staurogyne repens (growning but some browning of stems),ludwigia palustris red (doing very well), sagittaria subulata(not doing anything, poor growth) tiger lotus bulb doing excellent.
So plenty of plants.Noticed some of the crypts have a few leaves with the algae on so I've nipped them off.changed the times down to 5hrs of light ,moved the wavemaker to the other side of the tank for a better flow distribution.
Also found a few patches of the dreaded BBA on the piece of wood while doing water change this morning. Scrubbed it off with tooth brush whilst syphoning it up. Forgive me about the list of a list of good points and problems.only had the tank set up around 2 months was told at my LFS that some of the plants could still be acclimatising. it's a totally new experiance for me,learning along the way.alot of info I see on sites and you tube often contradict each other so found it's easier to get straight to point and ask .

Yes lots of info -key question is do you get a full PH drop before lights on? A simple way to test this is with a drop checker, so that it is lime green lights on. it generally takes 2-3 hours to get the drop, sometimes more.

I'll change the timing to come on earlier then as I didnt realise it needed to be lime green before lights on.currently come on 2 hrs before light so I'll change it to 3 and see if achieves lime before then.

Back