• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae Identify BBA?

Zervais

Seedling
I’m trying to tackle an algae problem I’ve had for as long as I’ve had this tank. First it was diatoms which are still around and now it’s this algae I can only assume is BBA. It’s coating everything but it remains short and doesn’t clump so I’m very confused as to what it actually is, and if anyone can help me combat it.

72EB5A55-96BC-4BB6-8E69-7E809F463AD6.jpeg

2CCC6297-DF2B-468C-9AEE-A492FB494717.jpeg

-200L
-Moderate - Heavy stocking (three small cichlids, congo tetra, tiger barbs, pictus catfish, cappucino snails)
-Oase Biomaster 650L filter with upgraded media (Seachem
-Moderate - heavy planting (crypts, anubias, Java fern, ludwigia, Amazon sword)
-Fluval Plant 3.0 run 7 hours on white and 4 on very low (3% red, 1% blue, 5% white) at night (currently at 100% but I’ve been trying out different levels).
-Dose once a week with TNC lite (tried the complete version too)

I did want to try CO2 but it confuses me so I attempted to dose with liquid co2 but it’s not made a difference even after two months.

E20D887A-BC64-4D43-9FAA-C14278EE4553.jpeg

Certainly looks like BBA.

The first thing i would do I reduce your lighting intensity to 50%, your plants are all low/moderate lighting so will be fine and up your water changes if you haven't already.

Scrub the hardscape and remove any algae infected leaves and if you can spot dose with the liquid carbon.

Certainly looks like BBA.

The first thing i would do I reduce your lighting intensity to 50%, your plants are all low/moderate lighting so will be fine and up your water changes if you haven't already.

Scrub the hardscape and remove any algae infected leaves and if you can spot dose with the liquid carbon.
That sounds good. I’ve reduced the lighting. I already perform one 50% water change a week but the problem arose/got worse when I couldn’t water change for three weeks! Someone suggested a hydrogen peroxide bath. Do you think that’s a good idea? I’d have to remove most of the plants as it’s attached to pretty much everything. I also want to try liquid carbon again and I’ve ordered some; would that help or make things worse? I can’t afford a co2 system currently but may invest in one in the future if it’s necessary.

That sounds good. I’ve reduced the lighting. I already perform one 50% water change a week but the problem arose/got worse when I couldn’t water change for three weeks! Someone suggested a hydrogen peroxide bath. Do you think that’s a good idea? I’d have to remove most of the plants as it’s attached to pretty much everything. I also want to try liquid carbon again and I’ve ordered some; would that help or make things worse? I can’t afford a co2 system currently but may invest in one in the future if it’s necessary.

I have no experience with hydrogen peroxide so can't comment it's effects, but it is used. Liquid CO2 can help, more as an algaecide than anything else.

The plants you have are all fine without pressurised CO2 (but will of course benefit from it), but you need to keep the light levels lower.

Start by doing as many water changes as you can, ideally every couple of days and remove as much manually as you can every time.

Last edited:
Back