• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae issue

marwil

Seedling
Hi All,
have had my tank set up just over a week now and am starting to get some hair algae mainly at the top of the tank on my redmoor wood and the back of the tank along the top should I be worried yet? I am following ed seeleys tutorial on the higher tech tank to spec barring the ada substrate I'm using eco complete. I have the lights on for the ten hours with the two hour blast of four tubes should I cut this down. Also I know I have a co2 issue as Ive used a full 600gm cylinder in just over a week I'm using a hydor turbo diffuser with a koralia 1 but a lot of it seems to head straight for the top and out. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers
Mark.

Using a 600gm bottle of co2 that quick shows there is something wrong with the seal.
Have you been using a drop checked with 4dkh solution to check the co2 levels?
Sounds like your co2 is the issue causing the algae, get that fixed and get to the 30ppm and it should help it out.
Water changes and chopping off the infected leaves will certainly help reduce the spread.

Hi
Yes I've been using the 4dkh and drop checker and have never managed to get lime green I've had a sort of emarald green thats about it. The algae is not actually affecting plants as yet its mainly at the top of the tank on the top of my wood and background. I've changed my co2 bottle now so I'll see how this one goes.
Cheers
.Mark

That definitely seems to be a CO2 issue. It sounds like the Hydor diffuser isn't doing a very good job; have you thought of getting a cheap glass/ceramic diffuser instead to get good diffusion?

I would be tempted to cut the lighting back too until you get the CO2 issue sorted too as that will slow down any algae growth. I'd say 6-8 hours in total would be plenty.

Back