• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae or fungus?

Champ1981

Seedling
Hi all,
I'm currently running a fishless cycle with no plants. I've been following Dr tims one and only. I'm 4 days on and my levels are starting to come down. I've had no lights on while it's been running. But I'm concerned I'm already seeing an algae outbreak!
Can anybody identify what's the brown stuff is on my wood? I know the white stuff is a fungus and will die off but I don't know what the brown is? Any help or advice would be great. There appears to be nothing on the rocks that I see. The wood isn't glued down so I can remove and scrub it off if required.
IMG_20201023_194949.jpg
IMG_20201023_195021.jpg

As you have not been running any lights I would guess it's a fungus of some type, spider wood is notorious for producing lots of it.

Yup, that’s fungus alright. It’ll run it’s course, but there’s no set time. The best thing to do is add shrimp and/or snails. You can siphon what you see, but DO NOT SCRUB IT. Scrubbing exposes wood beneath the surface and voila, more fungus. Patience is key, although not easy trust me.

Awesome guys, I was hoping that was the case. I'll leave the tank alone and let it run its cycle.

Back