• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae problem, early setup

Tomfish

A few of days after planting up my first attempt at a planted tank I am finding a tiny transluesent strings of what i assume is algae forming on some of the HC. Due to a delivery problems the HC was not in perfect condition and it seems that it is forming on the parts that are not doing so well. I would put up pic but i would need a macro lens to capture it. It does not seem green, but is stringy like hair algae.

Its is in an area of good flow,
I'm dosing full EI, aqua carbon(today started doubleing the recommended dose),
pressurised Co2 keeping drop checker in the yellow,
5 hour photoperiod
70% water change every other day.

I'm wondering what it might be and what should be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Hi Tom,
You may need to either reduce your light intensity or experiment with your flow/distribution. How about a picture of the parts of the plant that you say aren't doing well. Shouldn't need a macro for that.

Cheers,

right, I've managed to get an image. Admittedly not not the clearest, but I think you can get the jist.
The algae is just visible on the plant in focus on the left and can just be seen drifting across the gap.
7534408908_78540e19f8.jpg

It kind of looks like cob webs blowing in the breeze.

In terms of flow I have an fx5 running through a 1m long spray bar centrally placed, and its a 4ft tank.
I have turned it down a touch as i've had major difficulties getting plants to stay planted in my molar clay (cat litter) substrate. So I'm kind of limited in terms of adjusting flow.

These floating/substrate issues have made me adverse to messing with the plants as I assume letting them get bedded in to be quite important. I think the constant replanting can't have been to good for them.

I would really like to know what it is as i can't find a culprit that fits the bill on james aglae guide.

cheers

Yeah, appologies for the pictorial abiguity. I wish you were right, but it is definatley not roots as it has a more whispy mucus like quality.

cheers

Back