• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

algae problem maybe

hixy

Hello folks,My aquarium has only been set up a month.It is an 18x12x12.I use the EI fert method.It has an ehiem ecco 130 plus an eheim 2213 external filters with pressurised co2.The lights were 3 8 watt t5 growlux bulbs.(which i believe is causing my algae prob?)Today i bought one of these.http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=226759.
The light unit has 2x 36 watt 10,000lux which i realise is a lot of light for a 10 gallon tank.What i am hoping is that the growlux light were not enough for the smallest plants in my tank.(dawrf swords.I think?)I will be doing to 50%water changes twice a week.The light come on a 1pm then go off at 4 for an hour and a half then come back on till 11 pm.The co2 comes on an hour before the lights then off an hour before they go off.I realise i now have a lot of light now but i am hoping that this may sort the algae out.Here are a couple of pics.

DSCF1886.jpg

DSCF1883.jpg

DSCF1885.jpg

kind regards mick

Personally I think thats a bit too much light. Especially on a new setup. You would be better off starting with low light and slowly increasing it if you want to avoid algae. It takes a few weeks for everything to settle once established and growing strongly with sufficient nutrients and co2 then increase the light. But a bit at a time. Or settle for lower light. And reduce your lighting period and stop doing the break half way through. Never tried it but its not a popular method here? Any help on that people? Alot will say, that the 2wpg rule is not applicable to small tanks, but a lot are basing figures on Amano's tanks and apparently they arent as bright as the figures suggest so id stick with 2wpg. Untill everythings established.
I think that might be Cryptocoryne Costata? Im no expert on plants.
Good luck

Back