• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae problem.

I have a breeding colony of Cherry Shrimps - bought 20 now have god now's how many
I have a small (12) low tech tank with plenty of algae in it - it was being overrun by brown diatoms. I moved some Cherrys into it and the brown diatoms went pretty much overnight. So I reckon they are definitely part of the solution - although equally definitely not all of it!

Thanks for your replies, the UV is in the flow back to the tank so the water flows from the filter through the UV and then back into the tank - is this not right when I was installing it I couldn't quite work out which way was best.

Attached is a picture of the tank taken last night (I had just installed a lit background which looks fantastic but took me nearly 4 hours to fix due to the hanging clips not being suitable for my tank), as you can see plant growth is good with no algae present, which brings me on to my next problem namely pruning.

I have no real idea how to prune correctly, the large leafed plant to the left was so small when I was having all my algae issues, but now it is rampant and I would like to trim it up, also the java fern is huge again how does one prune that.
tank 2 24.1.21.jpg
tank 24.1.21.jpg

Hi
The large crypt on the left can be reduced in size by peeling off the largest outer leaves!
The java fern can be reduced by cutting at the base of leaves near the rhizome....best remove the discoloured/bent/broken leaves first.
hoggie

Out of interest, why did you install the UV system in the return feed?
Hi @Wilksy

Apologies for misleading you with my question above. The tank on which I have a UV-C sterilizer permanently installed has not been in use for about a year. So, I just checked it and it turns out that I also installed the sterilizer in the return feed!

JPC

Back