• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae scrappers

Do you guys get these approx 6x4 inch metal sheets for wall plastering in the UK ? In India they are very commonly used by painters to fill in cracks with plaster and to level out walls. They are about 1mm thick and quite cheap. Some of us use them instead of an algae scraper. They cover a larger area than most scrapers and I feel a bit safer than razor blades scratch-wise. You can even use them to clean a bit of the glass that is covered by substrate. If they rust then they are chucked since they are quite cheap and come blued so they last fairly long

I use Tetra Tech but also find a simple flexible filling life like this really useful especially for grubby front substrate algae, awkward corners and all manner of things
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXxgFLQ1LHZaZZWNAXZM7-QVIogbCVTPSbMvS3OndYl18Pqbol.jpg

For my weekly cleaning I use Exfoliating Glove. As I have it on my hand it is extremely easy to access each corner and very quick too. People claim that there is nothing better than JBL cleaning glove but for me it is just too expensive to try it.

Good ol' Stanley type blade for me. I always run a finger nail down the edge though, just to make sure there are no nicks.

Sponge, mags, or anything that could hold 1 grain of sand scare me :nailbiting:

Cheap paint scrapers also disturb me lol Let your algae/film grow, then run it down the glass, see how even the "trail" is :eek:

Hi I use a paint scraper on the glass a mm or so away from the silicone then a tooth brush "soft" to rub the silicone and a credit card to do around and down the substrate edge.

Also when doing a water change and the tank is just over half full I put easy carbo down the silicone with the filter off as its heavier than water it sinks right down the whole of the silicone edge leave it. Do a bit of cleaning then refill the tank and use the tooth brush. Cleans off the algae a treat ;)

People claim that there is nothing better than JBL cleaning glove
Hmmm that's actualy a good idea, never heard of them and never tried a glove, tho in a small tank i don't see it to be very handy, not with my large flippers.
But comming to think of it, what about a pear of cheap wool knitted gloves?? :)

Oh i use this, a stanley blade.. I still had some old broken carbon fiber Kite Rods left. Cut out the none broken part and slid it with a saw blade. Clamped the blade in and tied it of with thread, like a fishing rod is tied. :) And secured and coated it with a few drops of superglew..
If the blade is wearing of i put a new one in.. Blade on a stick.. :)
20150904_123033.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm that's actualy a good idea, never heard of them and never tried a glove, tho in a small tank i don't see it to be very handy, not with my large flippers.
I also used it in my nano tank and it works perfectly fine. Also if I can't get right to the corner I use toothbrush and vinegar + kitchen towel for the limescale (where the water surface meets the glass)-if you do it regularly your tank will look like brand new for ages.

:lol:

I have a sponge scourer, good as it is soft on one side, and rough on the other for more stubborn algaes. It lasts me ages as i only need to use it once a month. Very cheap & effective :D :D

View attachment 70296
I used one of those scourers to remove a combo of gas and diatoms after I was forced to neglect the tank for a while due to injury and it left scratches all over the glass. They are deep enough to be visible when the tank is full and annoy me so much that I'm considering replacing my 5'x2'x2' tank. I'd avoid those scourers like the plague in future!

I now use a long handled blade scraper but rarely need it so it has lasted over 9 months

I used one of those scourers to remove a combo of gas and diatoms after I was forced to neglect the tank for a while due to injury and it left scratches all over the glass. They are deep enough to be visible when the tank is full and annoy me so much that I'm considering replacing my 5'x2'x2' tank. I'd avoid those scourers like the plague in future!

I now use a long handled blade scraper but rarely need it so it has lasted over 9 months

You need to be careful to use the 'Non Scratch' variety!

I did use the non-scratch variety but it still made a mess of the glass. Maybe something gritty got caught in it

I use Dennerle Cleanator. It works fab and totally safe for glass. It also helps to remove lime scales from the emerged parts, and can be effectively used also in the pastic parts (if any) with no harm to it. It works very efficiently.

The down part of it is that due to its design, it is not possible to use in very narrow spaces of the aquarium. However, its size makes it great to remove any algae in the glass very quick.

So far it is my favorite, but its down size forces to use other stuff for the narrowest spaces in your tank.

Back