• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae scrappers

I use a stanley blade for any tough stuff but just use a pad for every day glass cleaning.

An old credit/debit card is excellent for soft and tough algae on removal from glass, not worth buying anything if you have one of these - even and old store gift card or savings card etc will do, I use an ASDA one :)

I have one of these Algrade scrapers from my old tank.
algarde-aquarium-scraper-1572-1524_medium.jpg

I have yet to get anything better like a mag float so this thread will be informative for me.

Not one to gloat, but I never see GSA, GDA or diatoms on my glass .....where`s the smug icon when you need it?

Spirogyra...now that is a different story. :lol:

Dave.

algarde scraper, with razor blade inserted inside it. Works a charm.

Although I have scratched my front glass on occasion by accidentally pressing the razor blade straight into it, rather than sliding it across. In the same was as you can cut yourself shaving :lol:

I have a couple of the Algarde scrapers and have cut one down to a few inches long, makes it easier to get into the top corners.

EDIT - I need to use it less and less these days (not quite never like Dan :lol: ) as I have learnt that in my tank algae on glass = low phosphates.

I use the tetratec one myself and find it to be much better than the rather dated algarde one. That said either of the razorblade ones is always going to be 10x better than one of those magnet ones that always fall off the glass and unplant everything and cause a s**t storm of dislodged gravel/soil.

Garuf said:
...much better than the rather dated algarde one.

lol. I neve thought about that - I am on about my 10th Algarde scraper and they have not changed the design for over 20 years now!!

You are right Gareth it is all about the razor!

Dave Spencer said:
Not one to gloat, but I never see GSA, GDA or diatoms on my glass .....where`s the smug icon when you need it?

Dave.

:lol:

I have a sponge scourer, good as it is soft on one side, and rough on the other for more stubborn algaes. It lasts me ages as i only need to use it once a month. Very cheap & effective :D :D

sponge250.jpg

I just couldn`t imagine scraping anything across my opti white glass. :eek:

Dave.

TDI-line said:
unfortunately my tank catches some direct sunlight. :arghh:
Same here, reason I am asking about this, do get some stuff on the glass which is really annoying.

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

aaronnorth said:
Dave Spencer said:

Dave.

:lol:

I have a sponge scourer, good as it is soft on one side, and rough on the other for more stubborn algaes. It lasts me ages as i only need to use it once a month. Very cheap & effective :D :D

sponge250.jpg

I use one of these too - agreed, very effective!

I personally like the JBL Blanki. It absolutely rips through stubborn algae, and doesn't scratch the glass.

If I keep on top of it, just a regular non-scratch scourer will do it.

I just use a square of filter floss to clean my glass. Bought a large sheet from local fish shop, for not much, and just cut up small squares of that. When too dirty just throw away and cut another square.

Was originally bought as replacement for Juwel filter floss and to place under gravel to hold plants down from rather boisterous plecs (which it worked well).

Back