• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae that looks quite appealing.

Sarpijk

Hi all, sharing some close ups of an algae covered rock in my hillstream tank. The little green tufts have appeared recently and in my opinion looks very interesting to say the least.

kpytvfu.jpg

9HAnaJs.jpg

Hi all,
The little green tufts have appeared recently and in my opinion looks very interesting to say the least.
That rock <"looks lovely">.
Personally I look on green colour as a plus point, I think the rocks look much more natural with a patina of biofilm. You won't find any submerged rocks in nature that aren't colonised by plants or animals, unless they are continually scoured by sand etc.

It isn't quite the same, but what would the <"Statue of Liberty"> look like if they kept on scraping off the copper oxide so she wasn't green?
Could the tufts be some type of BBA?
It is quite dark, but I think it looks like a <"Green Algae">, "Red Algae" (like BBA) can be all sorts of colours, but they are never grass green.

cheers Darrel

I think there’s a few species of algae on those rocks, from a distance it does look like the small tufts you get at the start of BBA but zooming in on the picture really closely -

90BD4985-66E4-4FD5-A6F8-80D528D36BBA.jpeg

If this is BBA then it certainly looks like it’s being encapsulated by a dark green Cyano type using it as a good foothold, it’s definitely being avoided as there’s trails all around it but not over it, must taste/smell really bad to the Snails!

I have all shorts of grazing inhabitants from snails to shrimp and hillstream loaches.
It never occurred to me that it has developed due to lack of grazing. Thanks for the insight!

Never have I seen cyano algae in any of my tanks. This one in particular has very high flow although I should mention that the flow had been hugely decreased for around a month prior to fixing it. I have experienced BBA and a protein film so this might account for the appearance of the tufts.

Here are some pictures of the same rock back in December 20th.

fTEpaue.jpg

g83unxn.jpg

Back