• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae/unwelcome guest ID

JamesM

I missed water changes and dosing this week due to being busy and well, lazy :rolleyes:

Now I've got some algae/unwelcome guest which sort of resembles riccia or pelia even...

2009_10220001.jpg

2009_10220006.jpg

Any ideas what it is?

Re: Algae ID

If that photo is a close up showing a strand about 1 or 2cm in size then it looks like monosolenium tenerum. (Looks like as in it could easily be something completely different!)

I thought it might be Pellia, but I have no idea how it got there :crazy: I might put some in a different tank to see how it develops. Cheers Matt :thumbup:

Nah, looking again its far to big and dark to be riccia. I have some in another tank that has no contact with this tank and its totally different. Plus it doesn't pearl, which riccia tend to do a lot under high light and co2.

Flyfisherman said:
james

What about the top part of Microsorum pteropus "Windelov"

Paul
No mate, its nothing like it... its jelly like, so my cash is on some form of pellia. Just strange how it got there :crazy:

I've updated the topic title now, feel free to move the topic too.

My money is still on some form of pellia.. It came out in one go with no breakage too, so I wouldn't say it was that fragile either... Its in my nano now, so I'll keep an eye on it and see how it develops.

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Keep us posted :D
If it turns out not to be pellia but some sort of f/w macro algae id be interested in buying some :lol:

As Graeme said, I've seen it and had it, real sure it's a type of Riccia. Given it's dark colour I thought it was just dead Riccia, until it kept growing! TGM had it in their old Iwagumi and i believe it's almost impossible to get rid of in that kind of situation.

Back