• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algaecides (not Glutaraldehyde)

Simon Cole

I was reading this post from 2016 that was talking about allelopathy and I wondered whether any algaecides have been developed based upon naturally occurring organic compounds?
Or more specifically, is there anything safer that glutaraldehyde that is being overlooked or is coming down the pipeline?

Edit: Please add YOUR EXPERIENCE ...this will be a good way to move forwards after we have identified opportunities and looked into the science.

Edit 2: Water column dosing solutions, if you don't mind please.

Last edited:
Algexit? Easy life have played how it works close to the chest and reply to emails with “natural chemicals and compounds”.

Algexit? Easy life have played how it works close to the chest and reply to emails with “natural chemicals and compounds”.

The active ingredient in Algexit is Salicylic acid.

Or more specifically, is there anything safer that glutaraldehyde that is being overlooked or is coming down the pipeline?
Hydrogen peroxide? fish and invertebrate safe far as I know. can damage sensitive plants like val, tonina, syns. egeria though.

Thanks you to everyone who contributed to this thread. Feel free to add more ideas as they come up over time.

I guess if fish feel pain like the experts say in Seaspiracy, then salicylic acid (Algexit) beginning to sound like a win-win. If anyone uses it - please feel free to comment below!

Last edited:
Hello, just keep in mind that aspirin is not exactly salicylic acid, it is acetyl salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is a "natural" substance while aspirin is not.

It could be interesting to investigate if the presence of willow trees in swamp or free water areas has an effect on the algae development in these area ? I have no idea about that, but maybe it works like that :)

It could be interesting to investigate if the presence of willow trees in swamp or free water areas has an effect on the algae development in these area ?
My mates willow tree was covered in moss & lichen (nearly like algae ?) when it was chopped down, so growing on the bark probably makes no difference

spot treatment, or for water column treatment?
Water column.
the presence of willow trees in swamp or free water areas has an effect on the algae development in these area ?
That does make me wonder. When I have been in streams I have noticed very little algae growing on the fallen leaves. They do fall a little bit late in the year. I wonder what a glass full of chopped leaves would do on my windowsill. Obviously, they could be packed inside a filter, or possibly the chopped stems.

Hi all,
It could be interesting to investigate if the presence of willow trees in swamp or free water areas has an effect on the algae development in these area
They are used a bit in phytoremediation of waste water, in regions with cold winters: <"Biomass Production and Removal of Nitrogen and Phosphorus from Processed Municipal Wastewater by Salix schwerinii: A Field Trial">

Salix spp. also had a bit of a vogue as a riparium plant. You can place <"dormant twigs in the aquarium and they will root and leaf up">. You can also <"tonsure them into interesting shapes"> via the "basket weaving" principle.

Algae reduction was one of their (supposed) advantages. They are the most incredible nutrient sinks, so you would need to untangle any nutrient effects from allelopathy.

These were Roy's (the late lamented @Greenfinger2)

p7033732_zpsvbbw4tjr-jpg.jpg

The downside is that they grow like mad, and grow a <"lot of root very quickly">, and it gets absolutely everywhere.

cheers Darrel

I have used the Algexit to treat Spirogyra, worked very well and no noticeable side affects.
Hi @Nick potts & Everyone,

The active ingredient in Easy-Life's Blue Exit is also salicylic acid. I have used Blue Exit, which targets Cyanobacteria (aka 'BGA'). Ideally, it would act as a preventative but Cyano isn't easily defeated. But, I still continue to run experiments with that objective in mind. Keeps me out of mischief, if nothing else!

JPC

I was reading this post from 2016 that was talking about allelopathy and I wondered whether any algaecides have been developed based upon naturally occurring organic compounds?
Hi @Simon Cole

I am in the process of putting together a list of natural algicide candidates - that should come to fruition tomorrow (fingers crossed). Unfortunately, one candidate that may disappear soon, if it hasn't already in some countries, is barley straw or its extract. It appears to be shortlisted for legislative withdrawal. There are aquatic plants with known allelopathic action. Diana Walstad discusses this in some detail in Chapter III of her book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.

JPC

@jaypeecee Cheers John :thumbup:
I think a bit of alchemy will be involved if people go down the DIY route, but if manufacturers have already done the leg work, then it would be well worth monitoring the results. It seems the EU wanted to apply the precautionary principle with barley straw.

Hydrogen peroxide? fish and invertebrate safe far as I know. can damage sensitive plants like val, tonina, syns. egeria though.
I think the word safe here is far from being appropriate. H. peroxide can be highly dangerous and highly toxic to fauna if you don't dose with careful precaution. It will destroy cells no matter the pathway. I use it myself but I always under-dose and never leave the tank alone when dosing it.

Last edited:
I think the word safe here is far from being appropriate.
Tina Turner experimented a bit with hydrogen peroxide. Her face kinda sums it up:
1652404757447.png

Interestingly, I did read this is what is formed when barley straw is added to water, but in very small quantities. Hopefully we'll be able to work out what is safe vs effective, but it will be a slog...

Tina Turner experimented a bit with hydrogen peroxide.
So did I in my young age. Ended up with orange hair since I didn't use enough of it or concentration was low, can't remember the specifics. I can tell you I looked dangerous.
Interestingly, I did read this is what is formed when barley straw is added to water, but in very small quantities. Hopefully we'll be able to work out what is safe vs effective, but it will be a slog...
I suppose at low levels it is probably safe but as glut, it needs to be handled with greate care.
Edit: Please add YOUR EXPERIENCE ...this will be a good way to move forwards after we have identified opportunities and looked into the science.
I have virtually tried most if not all algaecides available in to human kind the hobby. From glut, to algae killing bacteria, vitamins, to H. peroxide and holy water. Below a prime example of what can be found in the Thai market.
IMG_5700.JPG
IMG_5698.jpg

Besides the fact that dosing changes from lot to lot on the above product and that I was given some fuming explanations from a retailer of the reasons for this, needless to say none of what I have tried is "safe", and great caution needs to be taken when adding any of these products.

Now, 2HrAquarist (Dennis Wong), has a new algaecide in the hood. A glorified glut substitute. @X3NiTH made some very interesting comments on it. Yet some more chemicals to add to our tanks... I find it ironic though that we keep on talking about healthy tanks yet we keep on adding some crazy potions in them.

Last edited:
A glorified glut substitute
We may never know until the proprietary formulation in APT Fix is revealed, and I'm not sure I'm even that bothered. Something that is natural and allelopathic is where this quest must go. Thanks for your post.

Back