• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algea problems

Sprayman60

Hello everyone this is a new scape and is quickly being covered in this brown fluffy algea, is there any chance that I can save it?

16L
C02
Hygger lighting
Tropica specialized fertilisers 1ml per day
Tropical soil
Small frequent water changes

Attachments

• 20220817_184501.jpg
    20220817_184501.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
Hello everyone this is a new scape and is quickly being covered in this brown fluffy algea, is there any chance that I can save it?

16L
C02
Hygger lighting
Tropical soil
Diatoms, just remove it regularly. It’ll go away soon with good tank husbandry. No need to make any big changes.

I may very well be mistaken... maybe it's really diatoms... but to me it looks like fungi. And I would suggest repeated massive water changes to decrease organic pollution.

Looks like filamentous diatoms 😊 Make sure it doesnt choke out the plants, but it tends to go away on its own. If it gets very bad it may indicate that your light is on the high side for your tanks maturity level. I have noticed a trend* with filamentous diatoms and high tech (high light) tanks on the forum (*highly unscientific of course)

16L
C02
Hygger lighting
Tropical soil
How long has the tank been running?
What's the luminosity of the light and, if dimmable, what's the intensity? Also, how many hours is the light on?
What do you mean "small frequent WC"? 10% every other day? 20% every week?

Like @Hufsa said, looks like filamentous diatoms. Siphon as much as possible when doing WC. It will go away on its own eventually.
If it persists cut the light intensity to 50%. Decrease the photoperiod to 6 hours. Keep dosing fertilisers according to the manufacturer's instructions.
You can add a fast growing floating plant like Hornwort. It will consume excess nutrients and provide some shade.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies I could turn the light down slightly, for saying its a cheap light it does grow plants quite fast. It has about 5 setting for brightness.

I've added a clean up crew out of one of my other tanks so hopefully they help and I will keep on top of water changes.

Looks like filamentous diatoms
Yeah I had this in my tank too, I agree with the filamentous diatoms 'diagnosis'.
Make sure it doesnt choke out the plants, but it tends to go away on its own.
This is also great advice and it's what I would also advise. It tends to keep regrowing but it will eventually hit a point where it just goes away and doesn't come back. As @Hufsa has said, keep removing it so that it doesn't choke the plants. I found it removed really easily with a turkey baster (I use fluval's one) - it just sucked it all up in clumps very easily.

Back