• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algumin - shrimp/snail safe?

Andy Pierce

My low tech needs a black beard algae reset and I'm considering Tetra Algumin (Tetra AlguMin*). Anyone have any direct experience regarding shrimp/snail safety with this product? Any other chemical interventions people have tried that are effective on black beard algae whist also being shrimp/snail safe? I'm looking for something that will remove existing BBA as a one-off with water column dosing, not for regular ongoing use.

Tetra Algumin states it has a high humic content. There has been a lot of studies done that show humic substances used in the right dosage has improved the health, and survivability of both plants, fish, and inverts.

How it works to remove algae im not sure, but im guessing that theres a connection to plant health, and their resistance to algae. You may have a nutrient/ light imbalance thats causing the BBA to begin with, and the Algumin through improved health of your system addresses the algae problem, but again im not sure how it does that if true.

Going back to your main issue with the inverts i would say its fine, and may actually be beneficial to them if the studies are anything to go by, but the choice is yours. Humic substances being naturel are far less harmful than chemical treatments. Im not sure what other ingredients are in the Algumin as i cannot find it stated anywhere. I would imagine there would be some sort of warning of its use if it has caused any issues in the past.

Hi @Andy Pierce, I believe Tetra AlguMin containes monolinuron which is toxic for invertebrates - here is one website I found that mention monolinuron as the active ingredient. There is an excellent post by @Hufsa on the algaecide contents in different products here. I would consider a different course of action for fighting the BBA.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @Andy Pierce, I believe Tetra AlguMin containes monolinuron which is toxic for invertebrates - here is one website I found that mention monolinuron as the active ingredient. There is an excellent post by @Hufsa on the algaecide contents in different products here. I would consider a different course of action for fighting the BBA.
Well... the dose makes the poison is the first rule of toxicology.

The Pesticide Properties Database (Pesticide Properties Database) section on monolinuron (Monolinuron (Ref: HOE 002747)) lists the aquatic invertebrates 21 day chronic exposure toxicity NOEC - no observed effect concentration - as 0.56 mg/litre from studies in Daphnia; there is separately a listing for the 21 day chronic toxicity NOEC at 1.6 mg/L. The stock solution 'AlguMin in the bottle' has monolinuron at 0.245g/100 ml = 2.45 g/litre. The recommended dose is 5 ml / 10 litres water, a 2000x dilution, which would make the concentration of monolinuron in the aquarium at recommended usage 1.225 mg/litre or a little over 2x the lower three-week exposure NOEC figure. The acute toxicity for aquatic invertebrates (EC50 - 48h) is 32.5 mg/L which is more than 25x the recommended usage. More extensive data (https://www.rivm.nl/bibliotheek/rapporten/601716009.pdf) is consistent with these figures. Listed toxicity to algae varies by algae species and study, but is generally at least 5x more sensitive than aquatic invertebrates and in some studies much more sensitive than that.

Tetra recommends a 2 week course at full strength, and a follow-up course(s) at half-strength (at the aquatic invertebrate NOEC) every two weeks if necessary. I'll give it a try and report back.

Three week update: monolinuron (e.g. Tetra AlguMin) when used as directed is perfectly safe for zebra thorn snails and for cherry shrimp. Unfortunately, it is also perfectly safe for black beard algae having no noticeable effect on the BBA (Monolinuron does not control black beard algae - Fireplace aquarium).
🤦🏻‍♂️ doh!
Hydrogen peroxide works for me for spot dosing and hasn’t effected my amino shrimp, but I now love with some BBA as it’s a nightmare to totally rid

🤦🏻‍♂️ doh!
Hydrogen peroxide works for me for spot dosing and hasn’t effected my amino shrimp, but I now love with some BBA as it’s a nightmare to totally rid
Yes, peroxide will work for spot dosing but I was trying to avoid that. Having run out of options, however, I took the tank down, did extensive hardscape treatment with glutaraldehyde (Easy Carbo) and put the tank back together in a hopefully more sustainable (cleanable!) manner with mostly new plants.

Yes, peroxide will work for spot dosing but I was trying to avoid that. Having run out of options, however, I took the tank down, did extensive hardscape treatment with glutaraldehyde (Easy Carbo) and put the tank back together in a hopefully more sustainable (cleanable!) manner with mostly new plants.
So hard to shift without full removal isn’t it?!!

Back