• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alien invasion? What is this - ID?

zozo

Yesterday i found someting rather very interesting. :) Never seen it before, no idea where to look for references. No idea if it is an Alga or something in between a Chara sp. maybe or maybe a moss?? It realy beats me, no idea how long it grew and how fast it grows.. The tank is about 18 months old and it grew as a little wig rather well hidden in between some Bolbitis h. leaves.

Not realy attaching i think, rather brittle and easily breaks off, it didn't take me much effort to get it out. So hard to say if it attaches.. The color is more brownish then black. Under the microscope it has a clear leaf structure with a central vain and a leaf like cellstructure build around it. It branches at the leaftips in cross sections. At these cross sections it forms a rootlike structure again with main and hair roots.. At some root tips i found little ball shaped bodies. Also some single leaves. I suppose the ball shape outgrow maybe forms a leaf like structure later on and from there it branches on. Also found branches ending as a single leaf.

searched several algae databases with microscopic pictures but to no avail. Nowhere i can find any simmular looking growform..

This is about all i could find, at least at this particular spot.
WTF¿.jpg

See on a petri dish, square = 1 cm
WTF2¿.jpg

In the top left corner from section D1 is such a cross section with a bunch of roots growing. The longer i look at it, i kinda like it :) It's an intriguing little grow form...

Who can help me solve this mystery..? What is it? Never seen it before in my life.. And absolutely no idea where it come from. :)

:thumbup:

Completely a guess l know little ,but could it be a Najas species?In my book it looks similar and says often found growing amongst other plants

Looks like sea weed...or a fern gametophyte like Süsswassertang.

Edit:
It is a red algae Caloglossa cf. beccarii. We had a <"thread about it"> a while ago.
Knew I'd seen it before; you get all the luck Marcel:rolleyes:

Hi all,
It is a red algae Caloglossa cf. beccarii. We had a <"thread about it"> a while ago.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, that indeed looks like it. Interesting :), who the hell infected me with that?. I was leaning towards a Rhodophyta too, but couldn't realy find any good reference.. I was searching among Ceramiaceae, because this has simmular grow characteristics.. But the microscopic pics threw me off again. This one has a typical leaf like structure build around a central vain and rhizoids, which i never seen like this at any algae before. Like it is rather more complex build than most i've seen under the microscope. Unfortunately the clip on microscope i have sucks. Can't get any good pictures. Still waiting for a break to buy a a beter one..
20170627_230116.jpg

:)

Looks like sea weed...or a fern gametophyte like Süsswassertang.
Funny you say that, i found it pulling off some Süßwassertang from the wood behind the bolbitis. At first i thought it were fern roots.. :)

Anyway, mystery solved.. :)

Knew I'd seen it before; you get all the luck Marcel:rolleyes:
Anybody still interested? Should i skip to the For Sale section.. Highest bid wins.. :rolleyes::lol:.. Just kidding, if anybody is, drop me a line i'll share some. Not planning to put back what i pulled out anyway. :thumbup:

https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/caloglossa-cf-beccarii

Last edited:
Like Darel says; Caloglossa cf. beccarii........can be coloured anything from grayish-green to intense purple.
- it will be a true PITA if it desides to like the environment........attach quite strong to anything and spread allmost by thought only...........consider yourself WARNED :twisted::drowning::nailbiting:

Like Darel says; Caloglossa cf. beccarii........can be coloured anything from grayish-green to intense purple.
- it will be a true PITA if it desides to like the environment........attach quite strong to anything and spread allmost by thought only...........consider yourself WARNED :twisted::drowning::nailbiting:

:lol: Thanks Mick, you kinda remimd me of this..
arnold-predator.jpg

Same is said about Riccia and i managed to kill it instead of grow it.. :rolleyes: The jungle tank this Caloglossa grew in, i do not realy worry about, there is no carpet in can invade nor anything else it can destroy eastheticaly.. People who write about cultivating it warn for Glut and H2O2 after all it's an alga. I've always seen algae more of a challange than a nuisance. Actualy the portion i found is traveling on to somebody else who's intruiged and it's going to be displayed at the Vivarium 2017 http://www.vivariumbeurs.nl/en

Hopefully i'm not the source of a World War Z in the Dutch aquarium community.. :nailbiting:

Only Marcel could start a thread like this starts off with a innocuous plant ID wanted and ends with some postman or courier delivering will what Mick describes ha ha Summer wouldn't be the same without Mission Bathtub either its right up there with Wimbledon,the Open,Springwatch,the cricket,the Derby you name it

Summer wouldn't be the same without Mission Bathtub either its right up there with Wimbledon,the Open,Springwatch,the cricket,the Derby you name it
Haha...its become an institution...;)

Can you believe there are pyromaniacs out there willing to pay a small fortune for this weed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Red-Moss-...e-Aquatic-Plant-Aquarium-/222209642311?_ul=GT

20 times sold.. :eek: a portion, $ 70,- incl p&p... I virtualy gave it away for free, because i have no use for it and didn't wanted to burn it.. :)
That kinda changes the feeling. I guess i made somebody feel happy. My good deed for today is fulfilled.. :angelic:

Nah!? Not realy interested in that.. I'm not the money chasseur.. ;) Doesn't make me happy.
The secret of happiness is giving more than you take. :rolleyes:

Nah!? Not realy interested in that.. I'm not the money chasseur.. ;) Doesn't make me happy.
The secret of happiness is giving more than you take. :rolleyes:
Marcel - you are watching too much Lion King (song; Circle of life) again, aren't you............;)

Marcel - you are watching too much Lion King (song; Circle of life) again, aren't you............;)

Actualy never saw it, after looking and crying some over Dumbo and Bambi, Ardvark became my favotire cartoon.. :)

Back