• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All hail the nerite snail

Themuleous

Hi All,

Just thought I would sing the praises of nerite snails and show you this pic taken of my nano. This happened overnight. I have four in the tank and it has taken them about a week to get all the rocks sparkling clean. The only algae I don't think they eat is BBA and similar types, but I've not had it in any of my snail tanks as far as I know so I could be wrong.

Worth every penny IMHO. If it weren't for my loaches eating them Id have them in every freshwater tank I have.

Rockalgae-resize.jpg

Sam

I have bumblebee nerites, do they still count?

Yes, as far as I know all nerites have pretty much the same algae eating abilities.

They definitely are good algae chompers, however keep check of CO2 as if it goes down too much they will easily die, also make sure the water is not too acidic. When I had my 2 (RIP) I actually found them quite fascinating to watch, even if they may be snail slow!

This is of course ignoring the fact that I have algae all over the rocks in the first place ;)

Lisa - have two bumble bees and they are great. I also have a zebra nerties and ruby nerites. All are excellent. The only problem is that they are sexual i.e. there are makes and females, so you if you get females they lay lots of white egg pouches all over the tank which is a pain. But I cant fault them other than that.

Sam

Yes I have had that. They go round the tank often getting rides off other ones. and many white bits on the wood. I think they need brackish water to develop though...

I must say I'm not sure if its them or the apple snails but I never clean the front glass!

Had some in my 15-gallon but swapped them for oto's as I got sick of white eggs all over my tree roots. Darn good algae eaters though, I'd say 4 in a 5-gallon is perhaps overkill long term though, 1-2 should be enough otherwise there'll be little algae for them to eat long term.

I've got lots of green spot on my glass and got my 2 nerite snail a week ago and they haven't seemed to be eating much of the greet spot on the glass.... It hasn't been worse since they have been in there but it hasn't got any better either... not sure if they are to be praise or the plants giving out alleopathy chemical substance.

these creatures are absolutely great cleaners! they clean almost everything including my pollen glass (except the ceramic) and the tubes... worth the money... when i first got them, cant stop looking at it chomping algae :D

I got some Ruby glass lickers last week. They've done an awesome job clearing algae in my four footer. I want to get some more but maybe a different 'type' of nerites.

They're not as active as my Apple snails but they do a great job. And are quite attractive as far as moluscs go :p

On the strength of this thread, I bought a couple of zebra nerites and have been nothing but impressed with their algae eating abilities.

Does anybody have any personal experience of keeping them in a tank with smaller botia like striata? I have b striata in my big tank and would like to have some nerites in there too but as I lost a of apple snails possibly to the loaches, I'm not sure if I should risk it... :?

If it can conquer an apple snail it will take a nerite easily, sorry.

Back