• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All in one solution & Auto dosing with pump

Re: Help with all in one solution

LondonDragon said:
Got all the stuff through the post today :) so I have everything ready to start with the all-in-one solution.
At the moment I have some spot alguae on my anubias, should I increase the dosage quantities?

I think that Anubias will always get spot algae when they are older leaves. When this happens I chop the infested leaves to encourage new growth.

Superman said:
I think that Anubias will always get spot algae when they are older leaves. When this happens I chop the infested leaves to encourage new growth.
Yeah they tend to do that, I keep chopping old ones off and its always the old ones that have the algae, but I have seen some tanks with large quantities of anubias and no shade on them and they are algae free. Shame I can't achieve that thats all. The extra dosage is also to be on the safe side, the bottle will last me a month now before I have to redo it again, so I will see at the end of the month period how things are doing. ;)

Yeah, I've seen tanks that look like that, and it drives me mad - I love Anubias, and I don't like pulling off all the old leaves because you end up with a 4 inch rhizome with 6 leaves at the end! What I do tend to do is cut bits of the rhizome of, keep them in a more shaded tank till they've got leaves, and then put them back in to fill in any gaps.

I'll start a new thread to ask if anyone has had success keeping Anubius plants algae free - not for a month or two, but in established hi-tek tanks that have been set up for more than 6 months!

Mark

vauxhallmark said:
I'll start a new thread to ask if anyone has had success keeping Anubius plants algae free - not for a month or two, but in established hi-tek tanks that have been set up for more than 6 months!
According to James' site you need to increase the phosphate levels. I've read several places (can't where remember now. There's a couple of threads here on UKaps) that people can indeed keep GSA from infesting slow growing leaves this way. I still need to do that myself as I have GSA on all slower growing plants and on the glass.

Tonser said:
OK , I've found the E300 and E302 on ebay. Where do you get the K2SO4 though - AE dont stock it ?
Thanks
Tony :D

AE did stock it thats where I got mine from a few weeks ago, could be just out of stock.

I think this is the same thing though: http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/sulphate-of-potash-p-218 hope someone can confirm and a 3kg minimum order!! But then again you have plenty of space for storing stuff :p

YzemaN said:
vauxhallmark said:
According to James' site you need to increase the phosphate levels. I've read several places (can't where remember now. There's a couple of threads here on UKaps) that people can indeed keep GSA from infesting slow growing leaves this way. I still need to do that myself as I have GSA on all slower growing plants and on the glass.

Hi,

My Anubius nana is totally plagued by GSA and it is the only algae visible left in my main tank. I also went straight for the phosphate levels but then after having no sucess with that and finding out the average level of phosphate in my Edinburgh tap water varies between 5.5ppm to 9ppm i looked elsewhere for the issue.

Mine is getting alot better now i've fitted a larger filter and i think will be solved once i sort my CO2 distribution with Ed's DIY reactor. So if your happy the phosphates are fine then look to your flow and CO2.

Best Regards,

John

Tonser said:
Where do you get the K2SO4 though - AE dont stock it ?

They are out of stock. Im still waiting for mine, i got all my order apart from this last week.

It still has not arrived so i emailed Richard at AE today and here is the reply i got.

Our suppliers still haven't delivered due to the snow

They're telling us next Wed now.

So i still can't make my solution :( Or can i minus the K2SO4?

Hope that helps.

Cheers Gordon.

Nearly all garden centre's and even B&Q sell it under the name of sulphate of potash. Not quite as pure as what you get from Aqua Essentials but many people including myself have used it without problems.

James

Tonser said:
Thanks for that Gordon (and James). I'll get some there today and give the 'all in one' a go.

Your welcome, more thanks to James though for pointing that one out.

Off to B&Q in a bit myself to get some too. May pop to halfords as well, as its right next door to B&Q and get some de-ionised water, or is boiled water from the kettle just as good? Once it has cooled of course.

Cheers Gordon.

Can we use Е211(Sodium benzoat ) instead of Potassium sorbat

As I want to make my DIY liquid fertilizer and I like the James receipt I would like to ask, is it possible to use Е211(Sodium benzoat ) instead of Potassium sorbate? The reason is that I couldn't find sorbat anywhere.
Kind regards

Re: Can we use Е211(Sodium benzoat ) instead of Potassium sorbat

Antoni Dimitrov said:
As I want to make my DIY liquid fertilizer and I like the James receipt I would like to ask, is it possible to use Е211(Sodium benzoat ) instead of Potassium sorbate? The reason is that I couldn't find sorbat anywhere.
Kind regards
Not sure but you can buy Potassium sorbate on ebay!!

If you can't find potassium sorbate then E218 methyl parabens will also work. Potassium sorbate should be fairly easy to find as it's used in wine making I think.

James

Potassium sorbate is a mould inhibitor so you may find that you can get away with not using it. Easy way to tell is to make a solution up and leave it for a while. If you find a precipitate is formed or the solution goes hazy then you know that the phosphate is reacting with any free iron. The ascorbic acid is more important as it creates the correct pH and also is an anti oxidant. Ascorbic acid will also bond with iron to create an iron chelate so possibly also preventing any reaction with phosphate.

James

Back