• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All in one solution & Auto dosing with pump

Re: Help with all in one solution & Auto dosing with pump

Just a quick update, the auto dosing is going great, now with a fixed amount and dosed everyday at the same hour 30 minutes before lights on the tank is actually doing better than before. I am noticed great growth with the plants, never seen the L. Aromatica do so well for a long time.
Makes life so much easier too as I don't have to try and remember to dose in the mornings, has I have different start times a few times I would forget to dose. So far so good, now looking for another pump to dose easycarbo. I haven't been dosing EasyCarbo at all to see the effect on the tank and I haven't actually noticed any differences, so I will not dose and see what happens.

Tourney said:
Any pictures of how you've got it set up LD?

Here is my holding bottle. Air line comes in through the bottom of the bottle. Cone shape helps mix the solution better so it doesn't settle anywhere. No air stone just the inline with a non-return valve so the solution doesn't go back into the pump. Hole at the top of the bottle for filling with a funnel and for dosing tube.

pict0003af5.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Sorry LD I seem to be having a brain fade tonight :rolleyes: The airline tube goes into the bottle with the solution through the cap at the bottom? But there is no air stone on the end, its just the tube? :?

Tourney said:
Sorry LD I seem to be having a brain fade tonight :rolleyes: The airline tube goes into the bottle with the solution through the cap at the bottom? But there is no air stone on the end, its just the tube? :?
Yeah thats it, just the tube ;) siliconed into the cap.

For those interested I used the calculator in Matt's signature: http://www.cherniaksoftware.com/homepag ... riCalc.exe

Its a windows software so you Mac users have to find an alternative or ask and I will run it for you.

I took the doses recommended by the calculator and added an extra 20% on top. Seems to be working fine at the moment for me :)

LD spend some more time tweaking and modifying CO2 and flow, cleaning filters more often etc.
See how things respond.

You can rule out nutrients easily now, and the light is generally unchanged.

So not as much left for you to modify things and see responses due to CO2.

Regard,
Tom Barr

plantbrain said:
LD spend some more time tweaking and modifying CO2 and flow, cleaning filters more often etc.
See how things respond.
You can rule out nutrients easily now, and the light is generally unchanged.
So not as much left for you to modify things and see responses due to CO2.
Regard,
Tom Barr
Thanks Tom, CO2 the next thing is to install an in-line reactor and see the differences on the tank. Flow I am upgrading my Koralia Pump and the maintenance I am always on top of it, I can't remember the last time I had to clean the front glass, never gets any algae on it nowadays, even with some sunlight hitting it from the window.

I am going to try and learn as much as I can at the moment so that I can get things right from the start when I rescape the tank.

I have added 5 gr of the trace mix, but the solution became greenish and there was a thin whitish precipitate on the bottom. After a diligently shaking there is no left, but it is still greenish.

I will give it a go to see how the plants and fishes will react and hope that this will not color the water in tank :?:
I just would like to ask, does anybody knows what gives the green color of this mix? Is the amount of 5 gr, are enough for the purpose?
Regards

Ferrous iron is green and ferric iron is brown. The Fe-EDTA that is used in the chelator is ferric so is brown in colour. Ascorbic acid can reduce ferric-EDTA to ferrous-EDTA, hence why the solution turns green. I would also suspect that this is why the Tropica TPN+ is green and TPN is brown. I don't know what Tropica add to TPN+ to prevent insoluble iron (III) compounds forming but I'd guess it's very similar to what I have come up with.

Plants prefer ferrous iron so it is probably better.

James

Back