• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All plants thriving but one type??? Why?

Is it normal for algae or diatoms to target one plant? My tank is doing great all except my Juncus Repens that went from awesome to sad looking?
I’ve got: Nano setup 5gallon, ONF lighting/No CO2 water changes every second day with all in one ferts + Excel + Prime. Ada Amazonia soil, Monte Carlo, Cuba and Rotala H’ra... oh and Frogbit. Does anyone have a guess as to what is going on?
C5528855-8E1B-40F5-89D0-79A0275BFFF0.jpeg
19469947-9F2B-4C81-B18A-CB099733357E.jpeg

Not every plant loves every tank unfortunately. It could be that it's struggling to adapt or it just might not love the tank. So there might not be much that you are doing wrong, some of the most impressive tanks that seem to grow everything sometimes have species that simply don't thrive. I'd be inclined to give it a little longer to adapt to the tank, try and remove as much algae as possible and make sure your circulation and co2 are on point.

Could be environmental, since your not injecting CO2, the plants will be competing heavily with each other for this, and the Juncus may just be compartitlevly bad at this in your specific conditions. It could even be the influeunce of allelopathy, or your plants/beneficial biofilm may be reacting to the Excel, which effects many aquatic orgainsisms negativley.

When combining to many different species from different regions and preffered habitats, and adding complex chemicals, there is so much to consider that at least some of it ends up being trial and error.

Last edited:
Its a common problem some plants dont do well and others do. You would see as example James Findley on updates " for whatever reason James as changed plant A and planted plant B". It seems he didnt want to spend time finding out why? Plant A was not doing well.As we are trying to recreate nature in a glass box the reasons can be simple or complex

Could be environmental, since your not injecting CO2, the plants will be competing heavily with each other for this, and the Juncus may just be compartitlevly bad at this in your specific conditions. It could even be the influeunce of allelopathy, or your plants/beneficial biofilm may be reacting to the Excel, which effects many aquatic orgainsisms negativley.

When combining to many different species from different regions and preffered habitats, and adding complex chemicals, there is so much to consider that at least some of it ends up being trial and error.
Thank you. I hadn’t considered the different species from different regions. This will definitely stick with me for future projects!

Its a common problem some plants dont do well and others do. You would see as example James Findley on updates " for whatever reason James as changed plant A and planted plant B". It seems he didnt want to spend time finding out why? Plant A was not doing well.As we are trying to recreate nature in a glass box the reasons can be simple or complex
Thanks for the reply, it would appear that this new algae is moving in everywhere now 😭😢😢... I didn’t seem to get any notifications cations on these replies so I am behind on solutions lol.
39816570-3C6B-4D61-A204-31F1FAE0E03F.jpeg

Hi @christinecrites - I have a fairly good method for 'mopping up' that kind of algae while you're figuring out how to prevent. If you take an empty 5ml plastic syringe to it and withdraw the plunger rapidly, it usually separates the algae from the plant and snares it in the syringe. I use this method on my moss when theres a bloom like your picture and it cleans it right up 🙂👍

Was just going back through my journal and I missed you comment. Thank you 😊 this is very helpful!

Back