• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All Pond Solutions EF 2 Filter booster as reactor

Thanks very much Daveslaney...That makes sense. I'll switch that around tomorrow. I followed the instructions included with the booster, but of course it's being used for something different! :)
All switched over so that the inflow goes to the top of the reactor. I'll be able to sleep at night now!! Looking good so far.

Thanks again for your advice guys!

Cheers

Will
2437e228e83ae816e7387003b16679a7.jpg

how are you getting on with this mate? does it continue to work well?

also is is that 16/22 pipe? because i cant find the ef booster with that size connections.

All switched over so that the inflow goes to the top of the reactor. I'll be able to sleep at night now!! Looking good so far.

Thanks again for your advice guys!

Cheers

Will
2437e228e83ae816e7387003b16679a7.jpg

Well I'm getting on great with it IMO, the APS EF has a smallest diameter pipe fitting of 12mm regardless of which STD pipe fitting you use

upload_2018-1-28_17-26-28.png

Fitted a bypass on mine to keep flow up in tank and still drops the pH no problem even when flow though the APS EF isnt that high

which unit do you use? the ef 1 or ef 2? do they not both have different size connectors?

I'm using twin EF2 filters as reactors and although it will take 18-25mm size hose the 12mm constriction is in the fitting that both adapters use. the smaller EF filter can use 14-16mm size hose so i would assume the fitting has an even smaller diameter than 12mm

Ah I see now, that's a shame that its steps down so small.

Would you think it would be possible to fit different 'fittings' to the canister i.e. 16/22 size to not restrict flow so much?
Maybe even replace with straight joints not elbow joints, surely this would help with flow too?

I have recently added a APS EF2 as a reactor. So far all good, definitely an improvement.

I measured the flow rate before and after adding it and it appears to be the same, not at all affected even with the smaller diameter 45 degree connections. I was surprised, glad i don't need to add a pump.

One thing i have noticed is after the co2 has been on for a bit I can hear the water flowing in the EF2, a pocket of air or co2?? Does anyone get the same? It's connected after a sunsun filter with an up atomiser, in through the top of the EF2 out through the bottom.

was thinking i might add some tubing inside to see if i can create more of a spinning motion/vortex.

I have recently added a APS EF2 as a reactor. So far all good, definitely an improvement.

I measured the flow rate before and after adding it and it appears to be the same, not at all affected even with the smaller diameter 45 degree connections. I was surprised, glad i don't need to add a pump.

One thing i have noticed is after the co2 has been on for a bit I can hear the water flowing in the EF2, a pocket of air or co2?? Does anyone get the same? It's connected after a sunsun filter with an up atomiser, in through the top of the EF2 out through the bottom.

was thinking i might add some tubing inside to see if i can create more of a spinning motion/vortex.
Get the air pockets in mine too, have the CO2 going off 2hrs before lights off and pH remains stable

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

also is is that 16/22 pipe? because i cant find the ef booster with that size connections.
I had problems with flow in the end so had to remove it from my setup.

It was awesome while it did work though... Virtually no bubbles.

I'm in the process of setting up a new Aquascaper 900 and I plan to run a filter and another loop with a pump so I will have capacity to use it again!

Yes, it 16/22 hose that I'm using.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Will

Yes it does dependant on your Filter output. Daveslaney put me on to the EF2 which he uses direct off his filter without an issue and reports good flow, I Did a bypass for my twin setup as the FX6 kicks out 3000L/h. I only have a trickle of water going though the reactors and got a 1.0pH drop in 49mins today. Still testing it and have some ideas to try but tank is CO2 bubble free esp with the JBL inline diffusers - Up inline atomisers need a lower flow rate to get them bubble free in the test/vids I did when I had twin EF2s in parallel with an eheim 3000+ got bubbles when pump on full flow not such problem with JBLs and the JBLs drop the pH faster too and higher tank capacity.
Hi Zeus.
I'm about to get a FX6. Do you think I would you get away with one inline JBL CO2 diffuser and a bypass for a 200l tank please? I was opting for an FX6 rather than an FX4 as I thought the flow would drop to around 2500lph after going through an APS EF2, the filter media and the diffuser? Am I madly over flowing here and should I have opted for a FX4?? (Tank not set up yet).
Cheers!!!!

If its all inline (series) the max resistance will be the APS EF2 and it will be very noisy, So if you do a bypass and have valve you can adjust the flow going through inline diffuser and reactor to suit needs noise levels and amount of CO2 bubbles that get through reactor. Better to have too much output than not enough, very easy to make high filter output to low tank turnover, But if FX4 is cheaper to run.
1606314834066.png

If going for lily pipes FX range is a PITA

If its all inline (series) the max resistance will be the APS EF2 and it will be very noisy, So if you do a bypass and have valve you can adjust the flow going through inline diffuser and reactor to suit needs noise levels and amount of CO2 bubbles that get through reactor. Better to have too much output than not enough, very easy to make high filter output to low tank turnover, But if FX4 is cheaper to run.
View attachment 156925
If going for lily pipes FX range is a PITA
Thanks Zeus. Only just seen this. I have since found your videos as well. That's a hell of a set up you have there!

I am interested in getting some of those transparant external filters to use in combo with inline atomizer. Not so much because I hate the mist in my tank. More that BBA seems to love higher flow mist areas.

I do have 16/22 filters and was wondering if anyone found an option yet, for an (transparant) external pre filter that has a 16/22 connection. So it doens't cut the flow as the one mentioned above that turns into 12mm diameter.

I was wondering if those EW 604 are a good fit for 16/22 filters. As in real 16mm diameter? So it doens't cut the flow extremely hard by making making the diameter more narrow than the 16/22 hoses of the filter.

Back