• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All the way from Hungary

mmccannon

Seedling
Hi there,

My name is Mary Remete (please don't try to pronounce that, 'cause you're going to end up in an ER with a twisted tongue), but all over the world people associate me with my nick, mmccannon, which is the short version of my artistic name Mary McCannon.
I was born in the United States in 1969, but moved to Hungary in 1976, since both my parents were Hungarians.

As far as I can remember, I was always mad about animals and anything which is not urban. I had been living in Chicago, I was infected by Lake Michigan and a couple of zoos, Brookfield and Lincoln Zoos, with their enormous aquariums.

After moving to Hungary there were no fishless days, since one of the neighbours had fishtanks in his garden. He quite often invited me to marvel at his finned friends, while his Mom gave me soda pop. I am convinced, that I got the incubated Poecilia reticulata-virus from him. In addition, my peculiar interest in fishes (biology and ethology) is his fault, as well.
Well, after a few decades the virus won, and by now I have many tanks. in total I manage 951 litres of aquatic life.

I have my local heroes - Attila Néder, Viktor Lantos - whom I know for about a decade. But after I had seen what marvellous beauty they build in a tank, I chickened out.
By November 2017 I mustered all my courage to dedicate an 84-litre tank to aquatic plants. No scape, no decor, fish or invertebrates. I made an observing/learning tank, where I can study how different plants develop, how an old and new leave looks like, how and how often do I have to trim, what is the nutrient requirement of one and the other, etc.
By March 2018 I introduced 10 Corydoras pygmaeus to the tank, 30 days later 5 Oryzias woworae joined them.
And I am still listening as to what my plants have to say, as they speak slowly and silently.

Last month (July 2018) my UK hero, George Farmer paid a visit to Hungary and I had the good fortune to meet with him and have a little chat. Well, as he neither barked nor bit, I came to the point that it safe for me to join my fellow UK aquascapers.

All in all, the reason why I joined this lot, is that I have to and I'm keen to learn more and gain experience in this wonderful hobby of ours.

Back