• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Allways looking for Inspiration.

Graeme Edwards

Founder
Im currently on a drive to take more pictures.

Here is the results of a walk up to Swallow falls in North Wales. Me and the miss's did some scrambling to get to some spots.

Cheers.

yea, last one is awesome, well all great pics really, well done mate

Good work!!

I love the 2nd, it's natural.

The 3rd is just a bit overdone in my opinion, would be nicer to see some flow without the white-out from it. Just my eye?

1st is good too, can see the flow of the water and the underlying rocks etc.

Crackin' stuff mate. Really, really nice.

I would have gone for a slightly quicker shutter on the 2nd to capture a little more detail in the water, but it's still an excellent composition.

Love the borders to the photos too. Subtle and very effective. A class-act.

Thanks guys, thats really kind of you.

Jase - Get out there mate, NOW! :D

George Farmer said:
Crackin' stuff mate. Really, really nice.

I would have gone for a slightly quicker shutter on the 2nd to capture a little more detail in the water, but it's still an excellent composition.

Love the borders to the photos too. Subtle and very effective. A class-act.

Cheers mate.

You wouldn't believe how difficult that picture was. It was dark in the basin and getting the right exposure meant long shutter speeds, which gave you said results, so I had to use on camera flash which sorted it.

Slower shutter speed and no flash.

Cheers.

I'm liking the second one.

Trying the get that smokey look to the water is like the holy grail for me. It's very tricky and usually results in me getting wet :(

CeeBee said:

Trying the get that Smokey look to the water is like the holy grail for me. It's very tricky and usually results in me getting wet :(

A tripod or sturdy rock, switch the camera flash of if using a compact shoot and scoot camera. If using an SLR, small apertures of around f22 will give you slow shutter speeds. Or use shutter priority and control your speed that way. The bualty of digital is a bad shot costs nothing, so take more.

:)

Graeme Edwards said:
CeeBee said:

Trying the get that Smokey look to the water is like the holy grail for me. It's very tricky and usually results in me getting wet :(

A tripod or sturdy rock, switch the camera flash of if using a compact shoot and scoot camera. If using an SLR, small apertures of around f22 will give you slow shutter speeds. Or use shutter priority and control your speed that way. The bualty of digital is a bad shot costs nothing, so take more.

:)

also using a lower ISO.
I have yet to try taking some water pictures, will see if i can get to the peak disrict sometime :D

CeeBee said:
Trying the get that smokey look to the water is like the holy grail for me. It's very tricky and usually results in me getting wet :(
I addition to Graeme's and Aaron's good advice you need to consider the lighting conditions.

Shooting on a very bright day with little or no cover/shade will result in too fast a shutter speed to blur movement, even with small apertures (f/16+). A small aperture is required to limit the light hitting the sensor, resulting in longer shutter speeds, which is what we need to blur movement.

If the light is still too excessive to enable long shutter speeds then ND (neutral density) filters will block light without degrading colour or clarity.

The Nikon D40's lowest ISO is 200, where as most other DSLRs are 100,(or even 50) so you're at a slight disadvantage there, as you're exposures will be twice (or 4x) as fast given the same situation.

A tripod is essential really (if you don't have one), as you're aiming for shutter speeds possibly running into seconds and you won't be able to hold the camera still enough.

Also consider using mirror lock-up and self-timer or remote release to help eliminate camera shake further still.

Finally, I apologise if you knew most of that stuff already!

Thanks for all the advice and tips, chaps. I've tried the ND filters, slow shutter speeds and using self timers - the problem I generally have is just getting pictures that are way over exposed. What I need to do is get out there at dusk and try again.

This was the closest I ever got;

2914780358_d780c76ec4.jpg

I had another one taken on a beach, but I lost it after a hard drive crash. One of these days, I'm heading over to the coast to catch the dawn and give it another go.

CeeBee said:
Thanks for all the advice and tips, chaps. I've tried the ND filters, slow shutter speeds and using self timers - the problem I generally have is just getting pictures that are way over exposed. What I need to do is get out there at dusk and try again.

This was the closest I ever got;

2914780358_d780c76ec4.jpg

I had another one taken on a beach, but I lost it after a hard drive crash. One of these days, I'm heading over to the coast to catch the dawn and give it another go.

Hi cee bee,i must say it looks cool to me,
regards john

nice shot caroline. Sunny days are a killer for slow water shots. Ideally it wil be overcast to get the light down or as george has said get an ND filter to go over the lens.

Also a circular polariser is very good for taking the reflection off the water so you can see the stones underwater

Thanks John and Stu - that was the only half way decent one out of many taken - it's still a long way from what I'd like to get though. I've seen some awesome shots that people have taken on beaches, the water looks like dry ice. If I ever manage to get one like that - I'll be very, very happy 8)

I've got polariser for the D40 an ND filter for the other camera - I wonder if I could use the polariser and then somehow bodge the ND filter over the top with masking tape (the ND won't fit the D40)......

It's this sort of thinking that often gets expensive when I end up having buy replacements for the bits I've destroyed!

Back