• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Almost

Worshiper

Hi ukaps,
I am in the process of completing a new scape on my 80x40x45 aquarium and wanted some suggestions/help! Thought rather than me doin this on my own I'd like to take some suggestions from the pros here!
It's meant to be a mountainscape. Any suggestions are welcome. Please be polite is all i ask as I'm no aquascaper, just someone willing to learn.
Please ignore the take away containers. Just using it to stabilise the largest rocks I've got.

Bit of Background:
This aquarium has been pending from March due to lockdown, work, finances etc. And I've had this tank lying around empty in my lounge for what seems like forever! My Mrs. keeps asking me "when are you gonna set it up?" My response has been "I'm almost there" hence its now called The Almost!

Attachments

• 20201025_173956.jpg
    20201025_173956.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 228
Have you not got any more left and the right rocks? Think it would, if l think mountain scape ,look better as your rocks are vertical have at least four or five like you have and a couple higher and possibly try out not to get it looking more random any small stones need to be same type. Looks promising .btw l am a hobbyist also

Have you not got any more left and the right rocks? Think it would, if l think mountain scape ,look better as your rocks are vertical have at least four or five like you have and a couple higher and possibly try out not to get it looking more random any small stones need to be same type. Looks promising .btw l am a hobbyist also
Thanx Paraguay, i have a lot more rocks. Just put in the largest 2 for now 😀. Was looking to get some suggestions to lay out the rest as a step-by-step process.
I got impatient so laid out the rest too. Ill add another pic tom morning. Wanted to sleep over it and see how it looks again.

Hi ukaps,
I am in the process of completing a new scape on my 80x40x45 aquarium and wanted some suggestions/help! Thought rather than me doin this on my own I'd like to take some suggestions from the pros here!
It's meant to be a mountainscape. Any suggestions are welcome. Please be polite is all i ask as I'm no aquascaper, just someone willing to learn.
Please ignore the take away containers. Just using it to stabilise the largest rocks I've got.

Bit of Background:
This aquarium has been pending from March due to lockdown, work, finances etc. And I've had this tank lying around empty in my lounge for what seems like forever! My Mrs. keeps asking me "when are you gonna set it up?" My response has been "I'm almost there" hence its now called The Almost!
I see the vision, the rocks are beautiful. perhaps drawing the viewer in by creating a depth with two rocks slightly behind and closer in, the smaller rocks may look nice in a pile, to tie in and connect the larger stones. Will you incorporate natural elements such as wood?

Attachments

• 0242A51D-0414-44D9-BF14-5C9C35002829.jpeg
    0242A51D-0414-44D9-BF14-5C9C35002829.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 190
I see the vision, the rocks are beautiful. perhaps drawing the viewer in by creating a depth with two rocks slightly behind and closer in, the smaller rocks may look nice in a pile, to tie in and connect the larger stones. Will you incorporate natural elements such as wood?
Thanx Brooky77. I was going for a rock only scape.

Here's what I came up with. Any suggestions? I still have another 40kgs of rock left but was thinking of keeping clean with a montecarlo carpet and a bit of DHG. However I reckon I need to marry the 2 sides.

Attachments

• 20201026_111457.jpg
    20201026_111457.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 136
Those rocks are great , getting there, can the rocks on the right hand side keep as they are but slightly move away a bit from end glass, just give it a focal point?

Those rocks are great , getting there, can the rocks on the right hand side keep as they are but slightly move away a bit from end glass, just give it a focal point?
Sure.. will try that tomorrow morning. I changed some of rocks on the right side as I felt the left and right didnt match each other as the right side had more vertical rocks compared to the left side. Will give it a go tom.

Sure.. will try that tomorrow morning. I changed some of rocks on the right side as I felt the left and right didnt match each other as the right side had more vertical rocks compared to the left side. Will give it a go tom.
Rearranged the RH large stone and added a few changes. Is this better? I may add a few tiny stones towards the front of the tank as the line seems too linear and unnatural.

Attachments

• 20201027_145707.jpg
    20201027_145707.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 136
Wow looks much better, I'm no expert, but can see the evolution of the scape. Looking forward to seeing it planted.
Thanks mate. I wanted to do it this scape with help from the pros on here rather than just doing it on my own. I too like the way its evolving with feedback.
I plan to use monte carlo as a carpet with DHG near the rocks.

Think rebel" means with your idea mountains you have what some aquascapers call dead space. You top half of tank is empty and if the rocks were bigger higher it would look much better to make that space used. Often mentioned with wood not going high enough in top half of tank loses overall effect . Maybe rebel will explain it better 🤔

Think rebel" means with your idea mountains you have what some aquascapers call dead space. You top half of tank is empty and if the rocks were bigger higher it would look much better to make that space used. Often mentioned with wood not going high enough in top half of tank loses overall effect . Maybe rebel will explain it better 🤔
Ah! I get it now. I actually googled what 'MOAR Height' was and couldnt find anything 🤣

So the Twinstar and s2pro dimmer arrived today. Just set it up. To me (in person) the scape looks a lot better than with just my room spotlights which I think is the idea of getting the LED (other than for growing plants)🙂. I like the look of it better now. I wish I had larger rocks for 'moar height' 😜 but I'll probably buy those in the weeks to come after saving up a bit.😬

Any more suggestions to improve?

Attachments

• 20201029_180406.jpg
    20201029_180406.jpg
    924.8 KB · Views: 141
Back