• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alpine Gardens

TOO

Hi UKAPS,

Scape has been running five weeks. Plants still need to fill in between stones. This is by far my most ambitious scape (out of the one or two I have done so far so doesn't say a lot :)) and I am really anxious to see if I can manage to run this and let it develop how I want. Background is an acrylic sheet in transparent white. I also have one in black. Will upload some pics with that later as it quite changes the whole appearance of the scape. It is quite nice to be able to change the background like this. Not entirely happy with the photos, it looks so much better in real (easy to say, I know).

Title: Alpine Gardens (inspired by the set-up on pp. 14-15 in The Book of ADA).
Aquarium: 75x45x25 optiwhite.
Light: ADA Solar 2x36w.
Cabinet: Natural Aquario.
In/Outflow: Cal Aqua Labs.
Filter: JBL Cristalprofi 900 (900 l/h).
Fertilization: Aqua Rebell NPK, Mikro, and Special N.
Co2: Via UP inline diffuser.
Hardscape: ADA Yamaya stone.
Sand: ADA Nile sand.
Substrate: ADA Amazonia.
Flora: Eleocharis parvula, Eleocharis sp. "mini", Cryptocoryne parva, Riccardia chamedryfolia, Riccia fluitans, Hydrocotyle tripartita, Rotala indica (Ammania "bonsai"), Glossostigma elatinoides.

9843718904_91a40a414a_z.jpg

Hi all,

As mentioned I am experimenting a bit with backgrounds. Here it is with black. What is great about the black is obviously the nice contrast with the greens. On the minus side it tends to make the scape look smaller. The white "dust" is from pearling and the inline diffuser. I hope you like it.

Thomas

9903338336_dc3dbdb4b2_c.jpg

Hi all,

As mentioned I am experimenting a bit with backgrounds. Here it is with black. What is great about the black is obviously the nice contrast with the greens. On the minus side it tends to make the scape look smaller. The white "dust" is from pearling and the inline diffuser. I hope you like it.

Thomas

9903338336_dc3dbdb4b2_c.jpg

I like the black it really makes the plants stand out. Blue might work too tho :)

Wow I really love the rock work and the banks you've created on either side.

I personally think a white background might enhance the look of the scape....I think a white background opens the scape up some more, and might make it look bigger. A black background appears to close the scape so that you cannot look beyond the glass walls of the tank. In my opinion white will add 'openness' if that makes sense

Really cool scape, definitely one to watch :)

Reactions: tim
I've never seen a white background used before but what you say does make sense. Hope I don't regret painting the back of my tank black now lol

Lots of aquascapes on UKAPS with white backgrounds worth checking out:)

The other great thing about a white background is you don't see any reflections on the rear glass like you would with a black background.

Thanks all for your positive feedback.

Dave, your comments closely mirror my own thoughts in #6. I tend to prefer the white, but whenever I put in the black I really enjoy it because the plants stand out in a different way. But the good thing is that with flexible backgrounds I don't have to make a final decision. I think white or blue/white is the norm for most scapes these days.

Shows how much of a novice I am. I never even considered white when setting up my tank. I can see myself trying to remove some black paint in the not too distant future lol

Thanks for all the nice feedback!

It is interesting to see the different opinions on background, reflects my own ambivalence quite well. But I think white will be my standard and then add the black occasionally for a change in mood and for certain photographs where a strong contrast is desired.

I really like the riccia carpet in the front, but what a mess when it is trim time. I think I will try to hold a fishing net over the plants as I trim next time and hopefully "catch" the majority of the trim-off. Any other tips?

The only plant that is not developing well is the Cryptocoryne parva. Perhaps I should add some root tabs. Temperature might also be an issue as there is no heater in this.

Thomas

Back