• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

alternanthera reineckii mini

Steveb7

Having trouble with My 1-2 grow alternanthera reineckii mini.it was one of the first plants I put in since the tank was set up .initially I put the lack of growth down to being a new tank and getting used to it's new surroundings.but that was 7 weeks ago.its not done anything in that time.some of the stems wasted away to mush, and ended up falling to bits.any ideas ? Co2 now up and running, dosing TNC , i even put some JBL root tabs in.this it all that is left from a full pot.
15646518851316810541452345747584.jpg

Co2 now up and running

Have you done a pH profile to check the [CO2] is stable during the photoperiod.

You also havent mentioned the size of the tank or the filters output ? It could be a flow related issue which would compound the stabity of the [CO2] or could be an area of your tank where flow is poor

Tank is a 180l. Filter is the eheim 250 with 700l p/h output . You What sort of ldeal ph should I be looking at? Co2 kicked in about hm1 ish so I'll give it till 2 and check it

Going by a test before co2 started

N02 0
N03 inbetween 25-50
Gh inbetween 125-250
Kh 50
Ph inbetween 6.4-6.8

Are these results ok ?

That dont seem like any where near enough flow should be around 1800 ltr an hour for a tank that size so more than double what you have mate
You need to do a ph profile
Take your ph 1 hour before co2 comes on
Then every half an hour after till lights on your looking for a drop of 1 ph for example co2 on ph 7 lights on ph 6 that give a solid indication that your co2 is at the required 30ppm but if your flow is poor (sorry to say but it is ) the co2 wont get around the tank
And the Reineckii Mini looks like it's in a poor flow area
Cheers
Jay

Ok thanks. regarding the flow ,would another filter be needed or just a powerhead do?

I have amanos in there and just read that they like to eat this plant anyone confirm this?

Only 1 piece left, so I've replaced it with some crypto flamingo.the 1 piece left had mostly melted away but some leaves and stem are still visible.going to leave it and see what happens .after a bit of reading and advice I think the lighting isn't strong enough. At only 17w and 1420 lm it's not up to providing enough light to grow the plants.trouble is I'm not sure what to get ? The fluval planted 3.0 is enough for my tank but at £170-£180 ish it's a bit expensive and funds are low at the minute.anyone recommend anything else?
I added a wavemaker to aid the circulation,co2 is flying round the tank now .

Dennis about covers AR mini in two minutes. Amano shrimp will take a munch on the odd leaf but a healthy specimen should out last their attempts.

In agreement with Dennis that moving this plant around can be the harbinger of death for it due to its slow growth. Mostly it doesn’t recover from the move but replanting the tops with the fresh growth can. For best results, personal experience says it most likes being in Co2 mist, but contrary to what others are saying I’ve found too much flow directly onto the plant can cause algae issues due to stress.

You can’t faff around and decide to skip maintenance with the pruning of AR mini. It’s demanding. Get an idea of how high you want it to grow and take the top off and prune the failing leaves. This means leaving adequate room between plants. Here’s an example where I put two plants too close together when one would have sufficed:

upload_2019-8-11_19-15-45.jpeg

However, each tank will differ along with the growth rate. Cutting cleanly above leaf sets will encourage a bushing out of the plant for a full look. Single plants as an accent to your scape will give you the easiest ride.

Back