• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternanthera reineckii Rosanervig plant dying, what does it need?

HoneyGourami

Hello, Rosanervig is the only plant dying in my tank, the other plants are thriving and healthy. I was told the issue is Potassium deficiency so I bought Potassium only fertilizer but no difference at all. My impression was that my Amano shrimps are eating it (saw them many times nibbling) but I was told that they wouldn't go for it if the plant wasn't dying already. Tank is around 8 months old, this plant was healthy for quite some time but it started to slowly decay and now it looks totally miserable. Tbh I can't remember if this started with Amano shrimps' arrival. It grows in multiple places in the tank and all of them look this bad. 70l tank, co2 24/7 with autocontroller, temperature 24C, superfish 28W light 5.5 hours a day. Tropica soil and I was using flourish fert. Anyone any ideas whether this plant can actually be saved and what is the problem? Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20210706_144544208.jpg
    PXL_20210706_144544208.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 255
There are quite a few reports of Amanos favouring Alternanthera reineckii as a colourful snack, though mine never touched it.

That said, what are the other plants in your tank? Given your comment in your other thread:

Hello, I wanted to give an update in case anyone has the same problem, what finally helped me was Phosguard. After around 2 weeks of use, FD disappeared and never came back.

You are starving the plants of a vital macro nutrient, so it's hard to be 100% sure the cause is definitely the Amano's.

There are quite a few reports of Amanos favouring Alternanthera reineckii as a colourful snack, though mine never touched it.

That said, what are the other plants in your tank? Given your comment in your other thread:

You are starving the plants of a vital macro nutrient, so it's hard to be 100% sure the cause is definitely the Amano's.
Hello Wookii, that was my update for a very old issue, I'm not using phosguard for months now so I think that's not it. Other plants in tank are: Echinodorus Harbich, Pogostemon erectus Tropica, Cyperus helferi, Anubias Golden Nana, Anubias Barteri, Eleocharis acicularis Mini, Java and weeping moss. All of them are growing well, especially moss and harbich - I'm cutting it almost weekly.

Hello Wookii, that was my update for a very old issue, I'm not using phosguard for months now so I think that's not it. Other plants in tank are: Echinodorus Harbich, Pogostemon erectus Tropica, Cyperus helferi, Anubias Golden Nana, Anubias Barteri, Eleocharis acicularis Mini, Java and weeping moss. All of them are growing well, especially moss and harbich - I'm cutting it almost weekly.

Good stuff, glad you've got rid of the Phosguard stuff - my money is on the Amano's then as you've actually seen them eating it.

Back