• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternative to "carpet" plants

idris

I've tried and failed to grow Dwarf Hairgrass fornthe N-th time and am finally giving up hope.
My tank is low to medium light but deep and no CO2.
What's the smallest (least height) plant that will root in Akadama and spread well in low tech conditions?

How fast do you want it to spread? You could use some common low tech plants as carpet e.g. anubias petite, some buces or a small crypt.

If it spreads faster than it dies off, I'll regard that as a success. 😆

Last edited:
How fast do you want it to spread? You could use some common low tech plants as carpet e.g. anubias petite, some buces or a small crypt.
Thumbs up to these in low tech. I have some surviving-not-thriving hairgrass in my almost zero tech bowl so feel your pain.
You might be able to get hydrocotyle to grow horizontally with a bit of persistence/poking? Leucocephala and Japan grow well for me.

For me too, Lilaeopsis sp. grows like mad in low tech... In my case the L. brasiliensis... The more light you give it the fastest it will grow. This might be a challenge concerning low tech to find the sweet spot in light intensity.

This is L. brasiliensis outdoor under the sun without any shade.
Start up at April 2018
dscf1072-jpg.jpg

results in October 2018
dsc_0326-jpg.jpg

Sagittaria subulata works well for me. It can throw up some larger growth occassionally but carpets quickly in even dim conditions.

Marsilea hirsuta as nick mentions above has also worked well in similar situations for me but grows a little slower.

Back