• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternatives to Blyxa Japonica . . .

Wookii

I'm looking for some suggestions for alternatives to Blyxa Japonica. I love the plant, and love its grassy form and subtle colouration, but just grows so damn quickly I'm constantly having to uproot it, remove the daughters plants and replant.

I'd prefer something with a similar low bushy growth form, but slower growth and less labour intensive to manage.

I was considering possibly Cryptocoryne x willisii which is a similar overall shape if this Tropica picture is correct:

imagegen.ashx

However I'd like to hear other suggestions if anyone has any - ideally something that doesn't put out runners either, and not a stem plant that I need to keep trimming - picky I know, and I appreciate I have probably just excluded 90% of aquarium plants there, but let me know if you have any ideas?

crypt willisii is a brilliant plant. it grows quite slowly, but not painfully so. and yes the picture does look correct.

I ordered a few pots of C. X Willisii in the end, together with a pot of C. Costata to try out too, which also seems to have a thin upright leafy growth habit too.

Juncus repens? Similar look to blyxa but easier to manage.

Thanks Nick. Where I have these plants placed in in two gaps in between hardscape, so I don't really want anything that going to throw out loads of runners in places I can't reach. I think crypts are the way to go for me on this one - slow and steady so I can spend less time trimming, and more time sitting and watching.

I'm taking the same approach at the rear of my tank too, and I've decided to clear out all the fast growing stems, replace with crypts and Echinodorus, and then I'll give the floaters free reign too.

Back