• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternatives to RIO 180 internal filter media

leemonk

Hi,

I am in the process of clearing out my tank and starting a Walstad style tank (probably irrelevant). Due to the horrendous amount of algae (and varieties) I had in my last tank I really don't want to use anything from the old tank. Even some plants that I tried to save in my nano tank have now developed the same algae.

I want to get new media for the internal filter and was wondering if there were options other than he genuine RIO media which seems somewhat expensive to me.

If there are alternatives, can you please recommended what and where I may purchase it. The RIO media come in various colours and densities (if that is a way to describe the media).

I am not sure what the colours do.

On another note, I've never replaced my old stuff. A thread I read a long time ago said that there was no need, just take them out and rinse them in old tank water and put back in. The only ones I've been told to throw away after use are the black ones (for removing medics and colourations) and the fine white ones.

Regards

Lee

You can buy compatible sized Jewel media from Ebay, thats what I do.

You can also buy bulk sheets of both filter floss and filter foam and cut it to size. I had real difficulties cutting the thick foam neatly, apparently freeze in water and cut with saw is the neat way to do it. I just buy the cut to right size now.

Yes I just rinse my dirty filter media in a bucket of tank water every so often. I generally rinse only one out of the two filter blocks at a time so I don't rinse away all the beneficial bacteria. Eventually after a year or two the foam looses its strength and is clearly not so thick as it once was so I just replace it.

Hey,

Thats the reply I was hoping for!

COuld I pester you for a link on ebay? I've had a nosey, but couldn't find it.

THanks

Knowing what i know now, I would guess that I don't need the seperate colours (apart from the black ones, which i have a 'needs must' supply of).

A balanced tank shouldn't need media that removes Nitrates???? right??

Surely I just need varying degree's of density of the media working less dense up the filter to high density?

Regards

I wouldn't bother with the carbon (black) media in it. Nor with the varying course or finer foam. As long as there's some in there it won't matter as bacteria will grow on it anyway. Pond supplies also sell the massive sheets of filter foam very cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back