• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Am I overdosing CO2 to add shrimps/fish?

mede

I'm staring up a new tank for four weeks right now and I have reached the point where I want to add some Amano shrimps and Otocinclus. I have seen the first signs of brown algea, but that's probably related to the new setup.

I have created a pH profile during one day with a calibrated HANA pH pen and the profile looks like the list below.

I am afraid that the pH drop from 8.2 to 6.3 is too much for the Amano shrimps and fish (Rasbora). Every day a pH swing of almost two points. I don't want to use the animals as test material to see if it's OK to add them to the tank. What is your opinion?

I also dose 2.5ml EasyCarbo every day on a 53 liter tank and following EI-method. KH = 8.

10:40 - pH 8.2
12:20 pH 8.2

12:30 CO2 SWITCH ON
12:32 - pH 8.1
12:36 - pH 7.7
13:40 - pH 6.6
14:06 - pH 6.5

15:00 LIGHTS SWITCH ON
15:46 - pH 6.3
16:12 - pH 6.3
17:06 - pH 6.3
18:10 - pH 6.4
18:37 - pH 6.4
19:22 - pH 6.3/6.4 (display switching between those two values)
19:44 - pH 6.3/6.4 (display switching between those two values)
19:58 - pH 6.3/6.4 (display switching between those two values)

20:00 CO2 SWITCH OFF
20:10 - pH 6.4
20:30 - pH 6.5
20:44 - pH 6.6
20:52 - pH 6.6
21:00 LIGHTS SWITCH OFF

There are different opinions about the pH-KH table to measure the CO2 levels on this forum; mainly that you cannot trust it. (I to new to know what's true)

Reading the table I have > 120 ppm CO2 at pH 6.3? - wow! So your advise is that I should adjust the CO2 to get a drop from pH 8.2 to pH 6.9 as a maximum?

Will the change of the available amount of CO2 have any negative effect on the plants? It will have effect in the duration of my CO2 bottle :)

Don't rely on the table as that assumes carbonate hardness/buffer is the only "salt" in the water, which as this is a fish tank, it won't be. You will get ridiculous funny values.

What does your drop checker say...green....green/yellow ? This is liable to be correct as it is isolated from the complete unknown called "your tank water this afternoon" as well as "your tank water this morning" and even "your tank water last night". ;)

Are you sure you have your Easy-Carbo dosing right ? I thought 1ml per 50litres.

Shrimp can be "not happy" in too much easy carbo.

thanks for your reply Edwin and Ian!

Well this is exactly what I mean; two different opinions - which one to follow? I also read several post on this forum that the drop checker isn't the right tool to measure CO2.

Some discussion on this forum are talking about a pH drop of approx. 1 if you have a KH value of 8 - 10. Clive explains this a few times and I see lots of people following his advise.... who can convince me what to do with my CO2 injection based on my pH profile?

I'm not ignoring any advise, but I'm confused about all different opinions/advises here and I want to do it all right of course :)

I'm injecting lots of CO2 during the startup of the tank as there is nothing but plants in it right now.

I also read several post on this forum that the drop checker isn't the right tool to measure CO2.
The definitive article on CO2 levels in your planted aquarium is here: http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=co2-measurement-using-a-drop-checker. Follow that, can't go wrong.

Yes you can use a pH drop of 1 a handy start, but what is your KH, how accurate is it, how accurate is your pH meter, especially when contaminated with tank water. Most test kits don't measure KH, but alkalinity. Dead plants, dead fish and any ammonia present, especially in new tank, will adversely affect a hobby test kit KH reading, probably rendering the reading useless.

Both are tools to be used with the drop checker an inaccurate range on a calibrated scale with the pH accurate on a scale you don't know the range of. So use both. Chances are your live stock will be from aLFS that has low CO2 high O2 water so best starting the co2 low and build it up over a couple of days while keeping watch. If you see gish struggling turn the CO2 back down and do a big water change.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

Don't rely on the table as that assumes carbonate hardness/buffer is the only "salt" in the water, which as this is a fish tank, it won't be. You will get ridiculous funny values.

What does your drop checker say...green....green/yellow ? This is liable to be correct as it is isolated from the complete unknown called "your tank water this afternoon" as well as "your tank water this morning" and even "your tank water last night". ;)

Are you sure you have your Easy-Carbo dosing right ? I thought 1ml per 50litres.

Shrimp can be "not happy" in too much easy carbo.

You are not quite right. Table is reliable because values are calculated by the simple formula. Actually, consumer grade kH tests are not reliable and if you get wrong results from incorrect initial data that's not the table to blame.

My water company reports a KH of 8 and I also measure this value with a KH drop test kit.

Isn't a drop test based on the number of drops quite accurate as you don't have to guess based on a vague color? I'm pretty sure that the pH is quite accurate measured with my calibrated pH pen.

It's based off measuring alkalinity so not really accurate. I have no idea how much CO2 ppm I have in my tank I just know it's the maximum I can put into it without stressing out my fish. If my rainbows start hovering around my tank surface then I back off the CO2 a hair turn.

My water company reports a KH of 8 and I also measure this value with a KH drop test kit
Great you have just measured you tap water, which does not contain the ammonia, rotting plant debris etc that makes test kits completely unreliable. Same with pH, fine if just acid/alkali in water, but your tank has loads of other "stuff" that will affect the reading, which is why the test kits can't be relied on

You are not quite right.
Sorry, you are correct this is water untainted by being in a tank. As has been said many times this should be used as a guide to give an idea how much CO2 to add. The drop checker generally is the definitive answer

Great you have just measured you tap water, which does not contain the ammonia, rotting plant debris etc that makes test kits completely unreliable. Same with pH, fine if just acid/alkali in water, but your tank has loads of other "stuff" that will affect the reading, which is why the test kits can't be relied on

Thanks Ian!

Are you really telling that pH meters are not reliable? What about the automatic CO2 systems that keeps the water 24/7 on a certain pH level based on the adjustment in the pH computer? At the moment I'm doing 60% water change with tap water every second day; will there really be "loads of stuff" that affect the reading?

Lowered the CO2 injection a little bit yesterday. Now I measure a pH of 6.7 between 18:00 and 20:00 (= lights out). Still a pH drop of 1.6 but the drop checker is more green now compared to previous days (more yellow). Maybe adjust it a little more so I reach 6.8 at this timestamp and put in some shrimps this weekend.

Looking at your tank Edwin; really a beauty! How do you decide the amount of CO2 you put in your tank?

Are you really telling that pH meters are not reliable?
Yes in tank water as there are many things that can affect a pH meter other than pH. Generally I think you will find people who use a CO2 computer (actually pH) to control their CO2 levels fail and have fluctuating CO2 leading to massive algae issues. "hobby" pH meters/test strips etc are really only accurate if there is only acid (or alkali) in the water, in our tanks there is carbonate, sulphate, nitrate, phosphate, chloride etc all unknown and all these things can lead to a false reading.

I think ages ago someone found that one of the hobby test kits pH reading were severely affected by chloride in the water.

I would like to know what is that "other stuff" that could affect H+ and OH- concentration as well.
Not the H+ and OH- being changed but things like chloride causing under/over reading of pH on test strips.

Sure there's lots of other things that can lower pH but if you start injecting CO2 at say 8:00 and by 10:00 the pH has decreased, you can be pretty sure that the change was caused by the CO2 only. This will be confirmed by the pH increasing after CO2 is switched off.

P

Not the H+ and OH- being changed but things like chloride causing under/over reading of pH on test strips.

We are talking about pH meters here, not the test strips. Most probably fluctuating ph levels on ph meter are caused by cheap probe, dirty probe or not calibrated device.

Looking at your tank Edwin; really a beauty! How do you decide the amount of CO2 you put in your tank?

Thanks for your kind words. I use kH pH table as a rough reference.. Then I gradually increase amount of CO2 and watch for reaction of my fish. At the point where my fish start to strugle I turn CO2 a bit down. Also in both of my tanks I have a high surface movement to ensure a proper gas exchange.

I use kH pH table as a rough reference.. Then I gradually increase amount of CO2 and watch for reaction of my fish. At the point where my fish start to strugle I turn CO2 a bit down..

Well if the kH and pH tables were accurate you would not need to do this since you would have exactly 30ppm and that's all the plants need. You just said you used it as a rough guide so it really can't be that accurate just like the drop checker is a rough guide and so is using your fish stress levels. You kind of have to use all 3 to maximize CO2, help monitor the CO2 levels and even then you don't know what those CO2 levels actually are.

Maybe you guys don't get me because English is not my mother-tongue language so I'll repeat my self once more. pH kH table is very accurate since it is calculated from this C(co2)ppm = kh*3*10^(7-pH) simple formula. I use the table as a reference just because I do not have a kH and pH tests that I can trust however mede here and his tap water provider know that his kH is 8 degrees and he has a digital pH meter that shows him the exact level of pH and he do not need to guess what colour he sees.
Actually I do not care how much of CO2 is in my tank is it 20 or 40 ppm because I'm trying to ensure maximum safe levels for my fauna. I hope you do understand that every tank is unique due to its water chemistry, flora and fauna. So if 40 ppm of CO2 for my Hemigrammus rhodostomus is ok it could be very possible that 30 ppm of CO2 for your Amano shrimps is lethal. And also one should not forget about the O2 levels in the tank. So if I have maximum O2 in may tank maybe 40 ppm is comfortable for my fish but on the other hand if there is minimum O2 the 20 ppm could be a challenge for fish.
Hope this time you will understand my point.

Last edited:
Back