• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Am I too bright?

Is the idea of the floaters to create shade or suck up nutrients?
Well, it's both at the same time but you don't necessarily need both benefits. At this stage however it's probably a good idea if they give some sort of shade as well as a guide to nutrient levels. Plus if they gather on one side they still won't grow well because they'll try growing on top of each other and thus wetting themselves again. They need to be kind of "free" floating.
I'd try lowering the spraybar a lot. At this moment the priority is a healthy tank free of algae. Eventually you maybe able to change things around and even do without any floaters when you have a bigger plant mass underwater that grows relatively fast.

Cheers sciencefiction. A solid days learning;)[DOUBLEPOST=1399036172][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, it's both at the same time but you don't necessarily need both benefits. At this stage however it's probably a good idea if they give some sort of shade as well as a guide to nutrient levels. Plus if they gather on one side they still won't grow well because they'll try growing on top of each other and thus wetting themselves again. They need to be kind of "free" floating.
I'd try lowering the spraybar a lot. At this moment the priority is a healthy tank free of algae. Eventually you maybe able to change things around and even do without any floaters when you have a bigger plant mass underwater that grows relatively fast.
OK. I've now twisted the spraybar down...there is now no surface agitation, just movement. Floaters drifitng around nicely and now moving over the planted area. One question, surely I'm now lacking enough oxygen, particulalry with discus in mind?

Last edited:
No problem. We all learn every day in this hobby.
Cheers sciencefiction. A solid days learning;)[DOUBLEPOST=1399036172][/DOUBLEPOST]
OK. I've now twisted the spraybar down...there is now no surface agitation, just movement. Floaters drifitng around nicely. One question, surely I'm now lacking enough oxygen, particulalry with discus in mind?

To be honest I don't think so, some surface water movement is enough in a reasonably stocked tank. In a planted tank you want oxygen from healthy plants which is theoretically higher than what vigorous surface movement can give you. Your surface water is moving thanks to the filter flow below which will give reasonable oxygen exchange.

Also, the spraybar is best if it's still blowing against the glass on the opposite side to create circular flow so best is to lower it entirely if possible, not make it blow downwards by twisting. At least that's what I think.

Excellent. Thanks again for the help. I'm going to make a quick video of the tank next week as I have a DSLR filming lesson coming up.

Also ordered a large portion of Salvinia.

My suggestion would be to point the spraybar towards the surface from as low as possible, that way you will get good gas exchange and create a circular flow drawing up water along the bottom of tank to the top.

I think I'm too bright too........since going led.:)

Just a little bit of BBA appearing on the moss that's high up on the drift wood and close to the LED light. I've cut the lights to 6 hours a day and will increase the Easy Carbo dose.

Back