• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano’s

I bought some Amano’s quite some time ago and they’re still going strong. How long do they live? If I didn’t know better I’d think they’re breeding but I understand this isn’t possible. The Cherries in both tanks are certainly multiplying.

They can breed just fine, you will likely see females with eggs more then once, but raising the young requires brackish/salt(?) water. Someone on this forum recently had a go at raising the fry, he came pretty far untill they all suddenly died. Still worth a read.

I think Amano's life span heavily depends on water temperature, usually it's reported they live 3-5 years but the ones I've kept in "forgotten" tank lived for more than 8 years. Tank was neglected, no artificial light, full of moss and other undemanding plants, extremely rare water changes and was moved to conservatory where temperatures in winter were way below 12C deg (and I doubt average year temp exceeded 18C deg). Majority of Amanos lived there for definitely longer than 6 years, now it's almost 9th year of that tank existence and around six months ago I was able to see a two females hiding among the moss. Now probably they all are gone, haven't seen them for some time. In "typical" tank (lots of light and plants, stable 23C deg temp for all the time) my Amanos haven't exceeded 5 years of life span.

Back