• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano Breeding Behavior?

TBRO

Noticed a triad of Amanos wondering around the tank with a little one piggy backing a big one. Is this what breeding looks like?

0f01751e99bc1f62ed3a651f2f94428e.jpg

e9add14fa8c3951b95e5a5cac9a96616.jpg

cc6f5fef544519801fba6bd0870a5b57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really tell without a video, there's no actual breeding shown in the pictures, but the big one is a female and the small one on top is deffo a male (the one behind very much looks like a male too, but without knowing how large they are now I wouldent want to make a more definite judgement there, as the pigmentation can vary considerably IME).

Those two males are certainly interested in the female though, she might develop a large brood of eggs in the coming month :). Or they might just be hungry for specs of algae on her carapace if the rest of the tank is spotless :lol:.

My tank is definitely not spotless! The make just seemed to be riding along on her back. Will try and make a video. Thanks T

Sounds like it.

I saw this behaviour at the weekend and now have a VERY buried female.
Sad that the effort she's now putting into keeping her eggs alive will be wasted as I know it's extremely difficult to get the shrimplets to survive in the hobby.

5a60dd2caa65a1098ee27aeaa9ccd921.jpg

The big girl has shed over night as well. Perhaps they were being gents and helping her take her coat off?

Easy to tell male from female.

Males are much smaller and slender and have dots only on the lowest row of markings.

Females are larger (3x) with more of a pronounced "belly" and instead of dots they have dots and dashes in sequence on the lowest of the three rows of markings.

Other signs are the obvious saddle the females usually have.

Breeding is no cake walk - I've only managed a few successful batches. 250 being the best IIRC.

I filmed one in transition from larva to shrimplet on one of my attempts.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-S3FwfLrLBsV3J3UWJVOWdaUGc

Back