• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

amano fry?

samc

i have just had a good batch of amano fry and wanted to raise them. i have read quite a bit about them but still wanting anwsers. i have heard that yeast is a good starter food and could use that until i get some filter feeder food, but how do you prepare the yeast? also i have heard cooking salt is ok to use, it that correct?

i am planning on keeping them in a 1 gal tub which i can water change every day. is there any other foods that are common in the home?

if you actually read the above, he already has a good batch of fry, so he is not trying to breed.
with reagrd to this sam, im not totally clued up but it will be very interesting to see how they do.
have you tried putting in some soft veggies for them to pick at? have you got any moss in there as shrimp love that, and maybe crush a sinking pellet up very very finely and mis it in with the moss, (amano love algae sinking pellets) :D

Nick16 said:
if you actually read the above, he already has a good batch of fry, so he is not trying to breed.
with reagrd to this sam, im not totally clued up but it will be very interesting to see how they do.
have you tried putting in some soft veggies for them to pick at? have you got any moss in there as shrimp love that, and maybe crush a sinking pellet up very very finely and mis it in with the moss, (amano love algae sinking pellets) :D
And if you read the page I've linked to, there is a good chance they aren't Amano fry at all, as they simply wouldn't survive. :rolleyes:

aaronnorth said:
Or sometimes they are born, but after a few days they strat to die off.

yeah, they can be born in fresh water, but have to go straight into a salty solution, it depends how old the zoes are as well.

JamesM said:
You can't breed Amano shrimp in freshwater...

http://caridina.japonica.online.fr/Engl ... vage_0.htm

i know i cant breed them in freshwater :D i added cooking salt to them today and it killed them off :( i have just rescaped my 30l tank ready for the next batch and i will get proper marine salt for them. they will have the tank to themself so i will hopefully have some more in a gew weeks. i will also get some proper food for them :D

samc said:
JamesM said:
You can't breed Amano shrimp in freshwater...

http://caridina.japonica.online.fr/Engl ... vage_0.htm

i know i cant breed them in freshwater :D i added cooking salt to them today and it killed them off :( i have just rescaped my 30l tank ready for the next batch and i will get proper marine salt for them. they will have the tank to themself so i will hopefully have some more in a gew weeks. i will also get some proper food for them :D
Good luck with it Sam :thumbup: If you have success, I'll buy a load off you bud... keep us informed :D

Amano shrimps release their eggs in brackish water ( half strength of marine water) where the zoes mature and return to freshwater once fully developed. I fed mine infusoria which seemed to work but water changes have to be done daily. I failed twice to produce any mature amano shrimps and since then my female has failed to produce any more eggs.

This link may clear things up better than I have:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1702&p=38801&hilit=amano+shrimp+eggs#p38801

Back