• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano gone walkies

jameson_uk

I added an Amano to my 22l Betta tank over the weekend and it seemed relatively happy and exploring. I didn't see it last night and tonight I had a good luck and found it on the floor
027f9b8e3192561e0f15613b4189b9d9.jpg

The tank does have a lid but has gaps
57faf8c9685773749afe7d38c2e2d9a2.jpg

I didn't spot any aggression from the Betta and I have plenty of amanos on my main tank who seem very happy with my water.

So I guess the first question is whether people think it is ok to keep a lone Amano in a 22l tank with a Betta? Then if so is it OK to effectively seal them in?

If so can anyone recommend something to cover the gap that doesn't pants.

Amano's are true escape artists and then get lost, you're not the first and not the last. I think i bought about 30 over the years and most of them didn't find their way back to the tank. It should be considered to rename them Houdini Shrimp would be a better suitable name for it.

A cover without gaps is the only option. Maybe a wooden frame with a mosquite net and tight fitting slids for the cables?

Amano's are true escape artists and then get lost, you're not the first and not the last. I think i bought about 30 over the years and most of them didn't find their way back to the tank. It should be considered to rename them Houdini Shrimp would be a better suitable name for it.

I know they have a reputation for it but interestingly I have 10 in my main tank and they have never (seemed to have) shown an interest in escaping. The tank does have a tight fitting lid but they would easily be able to escape via the holes for heater cables, filter pipework, airline ...

I guess my main concern (and one I was thinking about for a while) is whether it is ok to keep a single shrimp. Seems to be a lot of articles that say they are social (which is perhaps why those in my main tank have never decided to go exploring?).

A cover without gaps is the only option. Maybe a wooden frame with a mosquite net and tight fitting slids for the cables?
With my DIY skills this would just end up looking rubbish!

I think I would like to keep the glass lid (helps a lot with evaporation) and plug the gap but I am not sure how I would attach some sort of netting without it looking terrible.

Current idea is either some sort of plastic grid (sure I have seen something in Hobbycraft that would do the job) or perhaps just attaching a strip of black filter sponge to sit just under the lid. Annoyingly the corners of the tank are rounded else I would probably look at getting a piece of glass cut to fit

I know they have a reputation for it but interestingly I have 10 in my main tank and they have never (seemed to have) shown an interest in escaping.

Over the years i kept and observed them i came to think they definitively have personality and are probably much more intelligent than we like to believe.

I once had 1 shrimp that somehow always ended up in the Hang On the Back filter. In total, i took it out there 3 times and judging by the size it was 3 times the same shrimp.

20rm80o-jpg.jpg

My too i don't like covers and hoods simply because it's nearly impossible to make them aesthetically pleasing.
So i stopped keeping Amano shrimps. :)

Does the aim of the perfect planted tank (little algae), conflict with keeping lots of Amano shrimp successfully. I have many Amano shrimp but have never had any climb out (although it would be easy for them to do). I have a highly fish stocked planted tank with plenty of algae & detritus, not perfect from the plant purist point of view. Could it be that the shrimp are just hungry especially if they want to build up reserves to spawn & try & move out ?

I have the same tank and put 3 Amano shrimp in on Friday. They seemed perfectly happy but had disappeared the following day. I didn't know they could escape. After reading this, I searched under the chest of drawers and found them dead. I feel terrible! I have used draught excluding strip to stop hatchets jumping out of my big tank. It might be possible to do something with that. But I'm just going to stick with fish!

I've noticed that Cardinia gracilirostris hate lots of CO2 and very acidic water (and potentially low levels of oxygen) - there is a chance that Amanos hate those conditions too.
Not in my tank The water is quite Alkaline (pH ~7.8) and really well oxygenated

Does the aim of the perfect planted tank (little algae), conflict with keeping lots of Amano shrimp successfully. I have many Amano shrimp but have never had any climb out (although it would be easy for them to do). I have a highly fish stocked planted tank with plenty of algae & detritus, not perfect from the plant purist point of view. Could it be that the shrimp are just hungry especially if they want to build up reserves to spawn & try & move out ?
I got the Amano as there was starting to be a little bit of several types of algae and there are some parts between the wood and rocks where there is a build of of detritus I can't quite get to with a siphon. This is also a space where I don't think the Betta gets into.

I don't know if this one was bored, looking for his friends from the tank in LFS, scared of the Betta, unhappy with the water or was just exploring or whether this is actually too much credit to give them and it was just looking for food and took a wrong turn. As @zozo said I do seem to see these having more about them than my cherry shrimp though so wonder if this was a deliberate escape.

I think I am going to look at some black filter foam as this should blend into the black background and should block the rear hole. There is still a little recess at the front but this would be harder (although not impossible) to get out through.

Back