• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano Shrimp breeding project

Animek87

Hi Everyone

I've decided to start this jurnal to share my experience with Amano Shrimp breeding.

Its just beginning of my journey so fingers crossed ;]

04/09/18
- female in breeding net berried for apx 3-4 weeks(main tank)
- breeding tank 12l deionized water salanity apx 32-33 ppm /l
11000ml water 398g sea salt mix
24h light 3x power led

06/09/18
- 3 ml phytoplankton poured into breeding tank (dubt there will be any phytoplankton multiplication )
- female still with eggs
IMG-20180904-WA0013.jpeg VideoCapture_20180907-152123.jpg

Last edited:
11 lit water and 400 gr salt??
sea water is 35ppt which means 1000ml of sea water have 35g salt that gives you 965ml water and 35g salt

11000 / 965 = 11.39
11.39 * 35 = 398.65g
11000ml gives you apx 399g salt

sea water is 35ppt which means 1000ml of sea water have 35g salt that gives you 965ml water and 35g salt

11000 / 965 = 11.39
11.39 * 35 = 398.65g
11000ml gives you apx 399g salt

hi animek87, i gave up my reef tank a few years ago now however i do remember different makes of reef salts and even the same brand make up different salinity with the same ammount measured so hopefully you are using a calibrated refractor and not the swing type as these can be way off the mark. just one more point for you mate if you are not already aware that reef salts already contain cal, mag and some have strontium depending on the brand used.

Let's see how this pans out. Search the forum mate, many have tried with little success so far. Out of curiosity are you planning just dumping from one water type to the other? I would assume to replicate the life cycle of washed out to sea and coming back up rivers the salinity would need to gradually increase then decrease after hatching rather than two extremes no?

Last edited:
hi animek87, i gave up my reef tank a few years ago now however i do remember different makes of reef salts and even the same brand make up different salinity with the same ammount measured so hopefully you are using a calibrated refractor and not the swing type as these can be way off the mark. just one more point for you mate if you are not already aware that reef salts already contain cal, mag and some have strontium depending on the brand used.
Hi
thanks for your replay that's good point and would explain why my ppm is 32-33 instead of aimed 35 (using instant ocean salt mix)
regarding refractometrer I've calibrated it on deionised water so should be OK
Cheers

Let's see how this pans out. Search the forum mate, many have tried with little success so far. Out of curiosity are you planning just dumping from one water type to the other? I would assume to replicate the life cycle of washed out to sea and coming back up rivers the salinity would need to gradually increase then decrease after hatching rather than two extremes no?
Hi
I've read a lot on Ukaps and some Polish forums so hopefully I'm prepared.
regarding your question I'm planning to dump them into the salt water if this fail then with next batch I'll do it gradually
Cheers Jacob

Hi
thanks for your replay that's good point and would explain why my ppm is 32-33 instead of aimed 35 (using instant ocean salt mix)
regarding refractometrer I've calibrated it on deionised water so should be OK
Cheers

to save you money why not ask lfs for there reef tank water during there water change, this will not only be mature reef water but full of goodness and will be lower than your taget so you can add or dilute with the added benifit of all the nutrients

quick update not directly related with shrimps
changed 3x power led to 7x hopefully will be better for developing diatoms
20180909_201740.jpg 20180909_201731.jpg 20180909_200245.jpg 20180909_200237.jpg

Today I've noticed some green algae on the bottom of the breeding tank, not sure if that's because of 3ml of phytoplankton dosed 5 days ago or tank with 24h light for past 7 days
20180911_073233.jpg

Hi Everyone

I've decided to start this jurnal to share my experience with Amano Shrimp breeding.

Its just beginning of my journey so fingers crossed ;]

04/09/18
- female in breeding net berried for apx 3-4 weeks(main tank)
- breeding tank 12l deionized water salanity apx 32-33 ppm /l
11000ml water 398g sea salt mix
24h light 3x power led

06/09/18
- 3 ml phytoplankton poured into breeding tank (dubt there will be any phytoplankton multiplication )
- female still with eggs
View attachment 117707 View attachment 117706

I dont think that you can harvest zoe from breeding net as they are tinny they will spread in to the tank and will be eaten. You should put berried amano in to a container until zoes are released. After zoes are released, you can transfer them to your salty breeding tank with a turkey buster.
I guess no need to say that adult amanos will not survive in salty water.

I dont think that you can harvest zoe from breeding net as they are tinny they will spread in to the tank and will be eaten. You should put berried amano in to a container until zoes are released. After zoes are released, you can transfer them to your salty breeding tank with a turkey buster.
I guess no need to say that adult amanos will not survive in salty water.
Its very fine net and had no problem with keeping inn baby neocardina shrimps which looked like dust ;] if it doesn't work ill try your method also want to keep female in main tank as she might drop eggs in separate container
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all

Yesterday first Zoe hatched, i had to move female to 2l jar as it was impossible for me to spot zoe in breeding net.

each time I've spotted Zoe in the jar I've sucked it with 1m tube
After moving zoe's I've fed them with few mil of phytoplankton

currently apx 100 zoe's still waiting for rest

Danelad - you were right ;) breeding net was bad idea

I've bought second tank 12l which will be setup for berried females

20180916_011245.jpg 20180915_141502.jpg 20180916_085332.jpg 20180916_020747.jpg

I've bought second tank 12l which will be setup for berried females

From all the attempts I've followed setting up a separate tank for berried females yields the most success. Good luck raising them.

Back