Amano Shrimps RE Appeared?

Sirkavu

Hello Everyone,

This Sunday afternoon I preformed my weekly 50% WC and added some more plants to my tank. For over a year, I only had my 6 Amano Shrimps, Cherry shrimps, colony, 10 zebra danios and 1 golden molly and only recently I added more fishes.

Now, 2 years ago I had 10 Amano shrimps, all good. I remember that while moving, 4 of them died (or I thought so). Today, after the WC, I looked behind one of my Dragon stones, where the Amano have been hiding for the past 4 weeks +/- and barely coming out (they used to be everywhere before), I found that instead of the 6 Amano shrimps I was counting for the past year, I had 8. I am pretty sure that 2 weeks ago, I took a dead one - maybe now I think it was just the skin, out of the tank.

Now, I don't think I have bred the shrimps as I know they are very difficult to breed, but if not, then did my other 2 amano hide inside of my filter for the past year? :eek::banghead::hilarious: I honestly don't understand what happened in my tank...😂😅

alto

DOA shrimps look pink and “cooked” (unless very newly dead - in which case they still look much like they did in life ... though usually a bit more curved) - completely unlike moults

Amano type shrimp can be incredibly effective “secret agents” - afterall they look much like identical twins (except for the male/female polarity)

Sirkavu

DOA shrimps look pink and “cooked” (unless very newly dead - in which case they still look much like they did in life ... though usually a bit more curved) - completely unlike moults
I am now very sure it was dead then. Which means 1 Amano down.

Amano type shrimp can be incredibly effective “secret agents” - afterall they look much like identical twins (except for the male/female polarity)
Very strange for me. I had the tank fully empty - no plants and rocks, and always saw 6. Now I have 8. Oh well it is a good thing for me haha:D

Ray

Mine used to chill in my Eheim under the bottom tray. It should have been physically impossible for them to get there, but somehow they did! I am not sure if they were able to get back again to reappear like yours did however - it would have required navigating the impeller or crawling back against the flow....

I always wondered if one died in there, would the filter bacteria eat it, or would I get an Ammonia spike!?

Nick72

I've had this with shrimp. I added 20 Ammano and one stray Cherry to my 50g around a year ago, when it was heavily planted.

I thought there was a good chance my Angelfish would eat them, but they just stayed hidden and thrived.

I accidentally killed a few when doing deep gravel vacs, seems the also burry themselves in the gravel.

A few turned up dead, so maybe the Angelfish eventually found them.

I've since completely emptyed the tank. Washed the gravel and replanted assuming I had no shrimp left.

Yesterday I was moving some gravel while replanting a stem that had come loose - two tiny shrimp ran out!

Really strange, these are real small and very dark black. They don't look like Ammano, so not sure where they came from.