• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

amazon sword in a fluval flora

hixy

Hello folks i have just bought a fluval flora,would it be possible to grow a single Echinodorus 'Rubin in it.If this plant would get to large could you recommend a amazon sword that doesnt get to big.Also would the 11 watt light be enough to grow a sword plant.I wouldnt be using co2 or if i did it would be a diy affair.The co2 kit that comes with the fluval is just to expensive to keep buying the refils.I would be using TPN and Easycarbo

cheers mick

'Rubin' will try to outgrow a Fluval Flora but you could almost 'bonsai' it by continually pruning off the larger leaves. It would make an interesting specimen plant.

Also consider smaller swords such as -

E. quadricostatus
E. 'Vesuvias'
E. 'Reni'
E. 'Red Diamond'

The latter two would make better specimen plants, and the former are more suited to blend into an aquascape.

A carpet of tenellus may work nicely too. You may struggle with 11w, especially if the large swords shade it.

George Farmer said:
'Rubin' will try to outgrow a Fluval Flora but you could almost 'bonsai' it by continually pruning off the larger leaves. It would make an interesting specimen plant.

Also consider smaller swords such as -

E. quadricostatus
E. 'Vesuvias'
E. 'Reni'
E. 'Red Diamond'

The latter two would make better specimen plants, and the former are more suited to blend into an aquascape.

A carpet of tenellus may work nicely too. You may struggle with 11w, especially if the large swords shade it.

Thank you George very much.If i upped the lighting would i need to use co2 or would i be ok with easycarbo and TPN.

Liquid carbon and a decent fertiliser should be fine with lighting levels up to around 1w per litre, so 2 x 11w lamps should be fine, as the volume of the Fluval Flora is around 30 litres.

I would dose between 1 and 2ml TPN+ and Easycarbo per day and change at least 50% water per week, more in the initial few weeks. Start with 1 x 11w and see how you go.

A nutritious substrate will also help. The supplied Fluval Stratum should be ample.

Back