• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amazon Sword runners and planting new plantlets

Neil M

High I have an Amazon Sword plant with a runner and two small plants , the top plant on the runner has four leaves about 2.5" long and three white roots also about 2" long. I want to remove this top plant and put it into a small pot to grow a bit before planting in its final position. What can I use as substrate within the pot ? I don't have any rockwool is there something else I could use ?

Echinodorus bleherii (=amazon sword) is actually really, really difficult to grow out of water, as a private person.
Your chance of success is much better, if you plant the little plant directly in the bottom-layer of your tank. If you want to help the young plant, give it a fertiliser-capsule right under it. Getting such plantlets growing is really, really easy when planting in the tank.

Thanks I was going to put the pot in the tank to grow some more roots as I thought with just a few roots it may not stay put.

Not a great pic but you get the idea !

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_202102.jpg
    IMG_20200318_202102.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 120
Based on the photo, I’d leave it attached to the mother plant for awhile longer, let it develop more roots and leafs
You can always bring it down to the substrate still attached to the mother plant, but make sure it’s not too heavily shaded etc

Chances are the mother plant will continue to put these out :)
(I’d limit to a couple at a time, or remove completely once you’ve enough “children”)

Back