• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amazon themed plants

krazypara3165

Hey, bit of an open question here but im looking to start a amazon themed 200l aquarium and was wondering if anyone had any plant recommendations? they do not have to be from the amazon as long as there from the same region. ideally im looking for a full range including a few red ones and a nice carpet plant. ideally ones available from a recommended online stockist as i have little faith in my lfs. and as im new to this a rough idea of quantities would be nice as im new to this and id have no idea how big they would get.

p.s the tank will have just over 2wpg of t5 and pressurized co2

thanks, craig

Enchinidors are almost entirely amazonian, staurgyne and more besides are amazonian too. It's a shame you can't search by region on tropica anymore this would have given you all the answers.

Hi all,
There are quite a few that should be obtainable. The best place to look would be <http://idtools.org/id/aquariumplant...Plants/Media/Html/Other/browse_taxa_list.html>

This allows you to click on a genus and find the distribution of its member species. A quick look found:
Egeria Densa, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Alternanthera reineckii, Myriophyllum matogrossense, Ceratopteris thalictroides, Sagittaria platyphylla, Potamogeton gayii, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Echinodorus spp., Limnobium laevigatum, Pistia stratiotes, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Eichornia spp., Phyllanthus fluitans, Cabomba spp, Salvinia molesta, S. rotundifolia, S. auriculata, and there should be quite a few more.

Mosses and Ferns would be a problem, Christmas Moss (Vesicularia montagnei) may-be S. American, but I can't think of any others. A suitable native British moss, Calliergon cuspidatum occurs all over the world, including S America, but I'm not sure if you can buy it commercially.

cheers Darrel

Back