• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ammonia and soil: how?

Mitchel

Hello,

If you use a rich aqua soil, it is always advised to do many water changes during the start-up. Because the soil leaches ammonia in to the water.
But which component in the soil is responsible for that ammonia? Where is it from? Clay, peat or something else?

cheers, Mitch

Hello,

If you use a rich aqua soil, it is always advised to do many water changes during the start-up. Because the soil leaches ammonia in to the water.
But which component in the soil is responsible for that ammonia? Where is it from? Clay, peat or something else?

cheers, Mitch
I will speculate since I don't work for these aquasoil companies. These soils containing ammonia are usually partially made up from clay and organic matter. Organic matter can contain ammonia but I suspect that the companies also enrich it with additional ammonia before firing it.
Perhaps @dw1305 can provide some more in-depth information.

I think Tom mentions ADA add NH4 in the thread below.

I think Tom mentions ADA add NH4.

Yes, just read through the page. That was my understanding on how these aqua soils are loaded with ammonia. It's artificially added during production prior baking.

Those are all good answers to my question, everything is clear.
Thanks everyone 👍

Hi all,
........ Organic matter can contain ammonia but I suspect that the companies also enrich it with additional ammonia before firing it.
Perhaps @dw1305 can provide some more in-depth information......
I'm guessing that yhey add the nutrients after they process the aquasoil, but I don't know.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
It's artificially added during production prior baking.
I don't think it's possible. Ammonia would evaporate.
Ammonia is an end-product of decomposition of organic matter. I suppose aquasoils are rich in organic matter other than humic substances (which decompose slowly and contain next to none nitrogen, anyway).

I don't think it's possible. Ammonia would evaporate.
Ammonia is an end-product of decomposition of organic matter. I suppose aquasoils are rich in organic matter other than humic substances (which decompose slowly and contain next to none nitrogen, anyway).
If that's the case then they probably mix some highly organic matter with clay and probably other components. They could also add urea or urea is already contained anyway in the organic matter, either way it will convert to ammonia. Just speculating here.

Hi all,
If that's the case then they probably mix some highly organic matter with clay and probably other components. They could also add urea or urea is already contained anyway in the organic matter, either way it will convert to ammonia. Just speculating here.
I think they just soak the media in a salts solution, let it air dry a bit, and then bag and sell it.

Cheers Darrel

Back