• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ammonia Spike and what to do with fish?

Jamess

Hey, i am soon going to rescape my tank completely with aquasoil, ferts etc. What i am worried about is when i put the Aquasoil in theres going to be the ammonia spike, the fish will be removed and placed into buckets etc. What i want to know is how long before i can put them back in the tank. There are 2 filters running on it and both are highly matured having been used for over a year. Do you think i should just put everything back in straight off and change water everyday or leave them in the buckets whilst the tank settles with the filters running. The fish are a mix of angels, cardinals, black neons and a german blue ram.

If it were me I’d monitor the NH3 & NO2 until both were back at 0ppm before putting the fist back in, especially the angles. I’ve not used AS personally but by all accounts this could take a week, though I guess with matured filters it could be less. When putting the fish back, I would put them all back in at once, as the filters will be used to dealing with lots and lots of NH3 & NO2, way more than the fish will produce so they should be able to cope without any problems, but probably worth monitoring the NH3 & NO2 for a day or two after just to be sure.

Sam

When I rescaped my last tank I moved all the fish out for the ammonia spike but never had one register! The mature filters took care of it effortlessly! I would recommend having a QT tank set up for few days to house the fish if you can, but if not then 50% water changes every day should remove a lot of the ammonia and the fish should be fine. The other option some have used is to soak the AS for a few days beforehand and change all the water so the worst of the ammonia is removed.

Ed Seeley said:
When I rescaped my last tank I moved all the fish out for the ammonia spike but never had one register! The mature filters took care of it effortlessly! I would recommend having a QT tank set up for few days to house the fish if you can, but if not then 50% water changes every day should remove a lot of the ammonia and the fish should be fine. The other option some have used is to soak the AS for a few days beforehand and change all the water so the worst of the ammonia is removed.

That's interesting, Ed.

What size tank, what filer(s) and how much Aqua Soil, please?

Back