Amsterdam Aquarium shops??

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by tko187, 19 Jul 2008.

1. tko187

tko187 Member

Hi going over to Amsterdam on monday, was wondering if anyone knows of any good planted aquarium shops over there, and possibly rate some of the other plant variety shops to go to :lol: :lol: Ill be ther for a week so would be good if anyone can advise.

2. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

I've been there a couple of times, but couldn't find any aquatic shops in the red light district. So that covers one region. :D

Deano3 likes this.
  3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

:lol: i actualy laughed out loud!

4. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

But i did find lots of Fern like plants :arghh: though.

5. tko187

tko187 Member

The fern like plants would be good!!! Any good shop you know of?

6. john starkey

john starkey Member

HI All, i went to Amsterdam once !now what did do there ? :twisted: :lol: regards john

7. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

There are so many to choose from that it is hard to go wrong. In 5 or so visits to the Dam I never come across one with 'bad quality' goods for sale. I'd just stroll around and choose one that you like the look of.

The only one I can remember the name of is the grasshopper in Oudebroog Street (the spelling is from memory, and I haven't been for over 10 years!)

8. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

As Matt said, there are so many, loads around the red light area. :oops:

9. spaldingaquatics

spaldingaquatics Member

Shame they're not aquatic, with all our high power lights, reflectors ect we'd be on a high success rate of growth ;)

10. tko187

tko187 Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Nice one. :lol:

12. Bingy_bong

Bingy_bong Member

Why not try going in the Bulldog Bar? They sell different kinds of Ferns there with different strengths and tastes. They even have menus and a pricelists on blackboards posted throughout the bar. If you are thirsty you can even get a beer or two :lol:

Mind you couldnt see many aquatic plants though ;)

13. tko187

tko187 Member

Hey thanks for the tips, had a great time especially in this place!!

bulldog.jpg

14. three-fingers

three-fingers Member

Thought I'd bump this old thread as I'm going to Amsterdam next month and really like the idea of visiting a big LFS, maybe bring back a nice fresh Aquafleur plant lol, also would be nice if I got to see a genuine Dutch-style tank!

It's a longshot, but anyone know of any good LFS in Amsterdam? Ideally central-ish in location Or any other aquatic-themed attractions? Maybe worth asking on Dutch forums lol.

15. Kev_M

Kev_M Member

I'm gutted I didn't think of this when I was over there recently (or the other two times previously). I suppose it wouldn't have gone down well on a stag-do but it's not like you're there everyday.

16. Yo-han

Yo-han Member

Not many good lfs' in Amsterdam I know. Holgen is probably the best (cleanest!!!) there is. It is small, you can do a virtual tour through the shop with google maps streetview: 'Holgen Jacob van Lennepstraat 64, amsterdam'. Another one, not too far out of Amsterdam is in Hilversum: 'De rifwachter'. This is one of the largest in the Netherlands. It's not cheap and everytime I visit the aquaria are dirty but they do have quite a stock (fishwise, plants are always almost dead)! Or when you've the time to drive to Utrecht (the red light district is very small there but nevertheless:p ), there is the lfs I work, Diebo, which I think has the most and healthiest plants of all lfs I visited in the Netherlands.

17. three-fingers

three-fingers Member

Yo-han, many thanks for the suggestions :). Holgen is the only one I had found so far but didn't know you could do a tour through street-view, that's pretty cool! I can see emersed potted plants being sold and it looks like a great shop, will be sure to visit!

Unfortunately I'm only visiting for a few days this time, so probably wont have time to visit Utrecht, but I'f I do I'll PM you here to see if your working haha ;)

18. Yo-han

Yo-han Member

And for everybody else going to the Netherlands, Ocean & Lake in Putten is a real recommendation as well!

19. Samuran

Samuran Member

Been to Amsterdam... saw plenty of plants in shops but not the aquatic kind....

Ben

20. Yo-han

Yo-han Member

Hahaha, took any home?