• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amsterdam Aquarium shops??

tko187

Hi going over to Amsterdam on monday, was wondering if anyone knows of any good planted aquarium shops over there, and possibly rate some of the other plant variety shops to go to :lol: :lol: Ill be ther for a week so would be good if anyone can advise.

The fern like plants would be good!!! Any good shop you know of?

tko187 said:
The fern like plants would be good!!! Any good shop you know of?

There are so many to choose from that it is hard to go wrong. In 5 or so visits to the Dam I never come across one with 'bad quality' goods for sale. I'd just stroll around and choose one that you like the look of.

The only one I can remember the name of is the grasshopper in Oudebroog Street (the spelling is from memory, and I haven't been for over 10 years!)

spaldingaquatics said:
Shame they're not aquatic, with all our high power lights, reflectors ect we'd be on a high success rate of growth ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why not try going in the Bulldog Bar? They sell different kinds of Ferns there with different strengths and tastes. They even have menus and a pricelists on blackboards posted throughout the bar. If you are thirsty you can even get a beer or two :lol:

Mind you couldnt see many aquatic plants though ;)

Hey thanks for the tips, had a great time especially in this place!!

bulldog.jpg

Thought I'd bump this old thread as I'm going to Amsterdam next month and really like the idea of visiting a big LFS, maybe bring back a nice fresh Aquafleur plant lol, also would be nice if I got to see a genuine Dutch-style tank!

It's a longshot, but anyone know of any good LFS in Amsterdam? Ideally central-ish in location Or any other aquatic-themed attractions? Maybe worth asking on Dutch forums lol.

I'm gutted I didn't think of this when I was over there recently (or the other two times previously). I suppose it wouldn't have gone down well on a stag-do but it's not like you're there everyday.

Not many good lfs' in Amsterdam I know. Holgen is probably the best (cleanest!!!) there is. It is small, you can do a virtual tour through the shop with google maps streetview: 'Holgen Jacob van Lennepstraat 64, amsterdam'. Another one, not too far out of Amsterdam is in Hilversum: 'De rifwachter'. This is one of the largest in the Netherlands. It's not cheap and everytime I visit the aquaria are dirty but they do have quite a stock (fishwise, plants are always almost dead)! Or when you've the time to drive to Utrecht (the red light district is very small there but nevertheless:p ), there is the lfs I work, Diebo, which I think has the most and healthiest plants of all lfs I visited in the Netherlands.

Yo-han, many thanks for the suggestions :). Holgen is the only one I had found so far but didn't know you could do a tour through street-view, that's pretty cool! I can see emersed potted plants being sold and it looks like a great shop, will be sure to visit!

Unfortunately I'm only visiting for a few days this time, so probably wont have time to visit Utrecht, but I'f I do I'll PM you here to see if your working haha ;)

Back