AN OLD CHESTNUT I'M SURE - FILTERS!

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by ukteacherman, 1 Aug 2008.

1. ukteacherman

ukteacherman Newly Registered

I'm sure it's been asked many times before. Been a fishkeeper for years since my teens, and had a shop about 15 years ago. Now settled back in England and setting up a new tank for the first time in years.
    I intend to plant it and have worked out lighting etc.
    The question is - my tank is about 120L, should I be looking for a 1,000L external filter, given what I have read on here about percentage efficiency of most of them?
    Still deciding which filter - Eheim, Fluval, Tetratec or JBL - I KNOW! As many opinions on that last one as there are members.
    Thanks in advance anyway

2. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

that sounds like a pretty good rating to go for if you ask me
    if it was my money I'd get the tetratec EX1200, or if you're feeling flush the eheim 2026 or even 2028
    JC

3. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Eheim for me, i have a 2128 on my 160L and it's quality ;)

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

I have an eheim classic 2215 & fluval 205, both are good filters, fluval is simpler but the eheim is better quality, i would reccomend getting a second hand one off ebay as long as it isn to old!

5. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Check the for sale section, there are a couple of 2026 for sale by Ziggy.

6. Wolfenrook

Wolfenrook Member

Avoid Fluval for external filters, Tetratec have a good reputation but personally I like JBL filters. Eheim are just overrated and overly expensive in my opinion.

Ade

7. spaldingaquatics

spaldingaquatics Member

Hi Ade,

Why avoid fluval as ext, is it an issue with flow rate?

Adam

8. ukteacherman

ukteacherman Newly Registered

Thanks for all your advice - have been leaning towards JBL after reading what seems an encyclopedia of literature on external filters plus write-ups and reviews, ( unfortunately, it's the scientist in me coming out and the need to analyse all possibilities). JBL Germany were very helpful too. Just a case of upsizing my original thoughts on model, (why not upsizing? Everyone talks about down sizing! :lol: )

9. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Member

Tetratec gets the vote from me too. if they go wrong tetra will send you the parts for 3 with minimal fuss.

Andy